Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts
I said years ago, and as said in the recent presidential race it's "a matter of record" just do a search, that Maryland needed a new clean slate recreational fishermen conservation organization. CCA MD has had it's problems for years at headquarters, MSSA has had its bumps in the road with headquarters as well. The chapters on the other hand of both of these organizations have been made up of good people who want to do that right thing and as importantly just love fishing. A new organization starts clean, no history, bad blood, this that or the other. I proposed a merger of the chapters into a new org, I called for the leadership of both orgs to put personal agenda aside and put the fish first. Usually when the time is right the opportunity presents itself, maybe that time is now, maybe not, but sooner or later a new clean slate org is what it is going to take to get things to a place where there is nothing but positive energy.

Just my 2 cents...

Brandon

THE OFFICIAL LIE:

Statement re: Executive Board Action

"The Executive Board took its action because enough members in the Southern Maryland chapter couldn’t be identified to assume leadership positions for the chapter. A chapter without leaders would be a chapter in name only."

Of course, we had a volunteer President and VP and a Treasurer and several members who were willing to step forward in a temporary appointment, but those officers weren't acceptable to the EB.

THE OFFICIAL LIE:

Statement re: Executive Board Action

"The Executive Board took its action because enough members in the Southern Maryland chapter couldn't be identified to assume leadership positions for the chapter. A chapter without leaders would be a chapter in name only."

Of course, we had a volunteer President and VP and a Treasurer and several members who were willing to step forward in a temporary appointment, but those officers weren't acceptable to the EB.
Why couldn't the Southern Maryland chapter enroll enough members to sustain a chapter? There are loads of rec fishermen in the area.

Why couldn't the Southern Maryland chapter enroll enough members to sustain a chapter? There are loads of rec fishermen in the area.
Perhaps, but are they the right kind of fisherman?:D
Hair Hairstyle Smile Hat Dress shirt

Okay...I better stop.:hysterical: I still have no clue what's going on, but I'm growing tired of the topic. I'm, frankly, more concerned right now about why my Columbus Day poll is doing so poorly.

Not familiar with operations of the CCA, but after being involved in local committees for many years with conservation groups (Ducks Unlimited & Trout Unlimited) finding motivated people to work on committees is not an easy task. DU really pushes on committee growth and I will say I is one of the major keys to the success of a group like this. The TU sounds more like CCA. After a couple of years got tired of all the BS and a few people doing 90% of the grunt work while the majority of those involved were just in it for the social aspect.

It was authorized by Treasury to get peoples' minds off of the market.

I am a member of CCA-S MD, and was at the Sep meeting. As I departed the meeting, I was thinking that if they can't get some fresh blood to step up to leadership it is going to be a long slow year. I live up North of DC, so for me, getting to the meetings is a challenge. I still believe in CCA and all it stands for. It is doing great work on both Coasts and in the Gulf. Just because one chapter is having leadership problems is not a reason to walk off in a huff.

I'll still support the YP meetings and Oyster restoration program as I have in the past.

Guess I'll start looking for a chapter closer to home.

Dave

aka

Glad I'm not the only one who had the chapters confused.
Scott (Crowbait) and his dad both give 110% to their chapter :clapping2: and I was really confused how it could be shut down - my mistake.If fact Scott was pictured in last week's Bay Weekly tending to oyster floats :thumbup:.

It is tough keeping people fired up about the bay.You beat your head against the wall at the meetings/hearings and one day you decide to stop going because it hurts too much :rolleyes:.

It is time for a new fishing group made up with FRESH FACES - not a "new" group headed by the same 10 people who always are on the boards.Really need a 2-3 year cap on who can serve on these boards.Fresh blood means fresh ideas :yes:.

Well, well...the chickens have come home to roost.

Many of us in CCA-MD who were there from the beginning identified the myriad of organizational problems long ago. Just like the CBF, after millions of dollars donated and wasted by these (and similar) organizations - not to mention the millions of donated man hours by volunteers - where is the state of conservation of The Bay compared to 5 years ago? 10 years ago? 20 years ago?

The main problem is that CCA is not a conservation organization. It's basically a sport fishing club. Another problem is that you have a paid state executive director whose job it is to raise money through banquets and donations so his salary can be paid. You see, I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Hammer is one of the finest men I have ever known. To do this to him speaks volumes about CCA, it's current leadership, and it's direction. So many good people have donated to and volunteered for CCA and yet the insatiable beast still hungers.

Read the book Chesapeake Bay Blues by Howard R. Ernst (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.) for a real eye opener on this subject.

And Chumbucket, you are my all time favorite SMIB in world history. All men make mistakes in judgment. Few men admit them. Now you know the rest of the story...

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.