Tidal Fish Forum banner

So It Appears I Owe Captain George And Reds An Apology...

11K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  capt.george 
#1 ·
It's not often I get caught out this way, I like to think of myself as a pretty good judge of character, but, when faced with facts that are contrary to my impressions, what's a guy to do, eh?

So George? Reds? You know what? You fellas were right concerning some of the folks holding leadership positions within CCA Maryland, at the end of the day it wasn't the grassroots membership organization I envisioned, but rather the tight knit private club run at the benevolence of "the Gentleman Farmer", and his full time lackey whose idea of building a membership organization involves dismantling it one chapter at a time...

CCA Southern Maryland no longer exists, although I have no idea why to listen to all the highly touted open and transparent information emerging from CCA Maryland's state office...

And CCA Maryland Chairman Bill Curry's position has effectively been marginalized by removing him from heading any of the committees, including the Management Committee, in hopes no doubt of ushering him out the door quietly this Fall in anticipation of replacing him with someone more to their liking...Again, with no explanation...

So George? Reds? You were right, and I? I was wrong. I won't be bugging you about signing up in the future, Cap, we'll just grab a smoke outside and this time I'll listen just a little bit closer, maybe I'll become smarter faster next time...

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I'd say so...Peace returns to the CCA treehouse and they can try for the rest of eternity to crack that 2,000 member threshold by sucking on chocolate eclairs over at DNR TFAC/SFAC meetings while paying lip service to "fish first", and "open and transparent", and their membership, which I don't think they'd recognize if it jumped off the ground and bit them on the knob...

Let them eat cake, that should be their credo...

I should have seen this coming with the games leading up to 1012 but I didn't want to believe it...

#6 ·
My wife is angry (but also delighted) in this whole sordid political affair. Now I can spend full time on chores around the house and not "waste" hours and hours on "fishing club" business. The MWA should be delighted in all this! Look up the word "schadenfreude"!

#8 ·
Yeah? Well, it's damned disappointing the way I see it, and the way in which they have treated Curry is simply wrong. The most disappointing thing about it is the duplicitous manner in which they carried these games out. They are not acting in the best interest of their membership, they are acting in the best interest of a small group of people who see CCA Maryland as their private fiefdom...

Robo should be along shortly to wring his hands and talk about how "unfortunate" this is but how it had to be done, which is complete horseshiet, nothing was preordained here, Robo has never started a chapter in his life and couldn't start one with a gun pointed at his head, and this is nothing more than a few people looking to take advantage of a situation to better their position vis-a-vie CCA MD....It has everything to do with self-dealing and nothing to do with what should come first, the membership...

#9 ·
groups become big, politics take over. People tend to get power hungry & ruin everything...

That is the answer I have been giving Ele at Herbs for the last 5 years when she asks me to join.

Chum, sorry for the failure, you always seemed passionate about the cause. But human nature is what it is.

#10 ·
CCA

I joined CCA to get into a local fishing tournament. Even went to a meeting to try and network w/ others in the area that are interested in fishing. The tone of the meeting wasn't what I expected and a few weeks later CCA sends me a letter in the mail. The letter came off (at least to me) as hate mail trying to stir up the pot against commercial fishing industry. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for ensuring we have a renewable resource, but CCA isn't my style. Many letters since were received...... all were trashed, membership expired.

#13 ·
.... how's it go, Chum "sometimes bad things happen to good people", or something like that??? The loss of the YP project and Ken Hastings (to the CCA) at a time when DNR is actually willing to give the recreational fisherman a break is a damned shame! Don't get me wrong, Ken will continue to hammer at the DNR and the Yellow Perch project will go on, but NOT under the CCA banner. Que sera, sera!

#17 ·
Hmmmmm.....Well? One could stop going to banquets and simply renew CCA membership with national thereby depriving Annapolis of the funds necessary to keep the lights on, the doors open, and a paid employee, until such a time that they see the light and make some changes...State is driven by banquets, meanwhile, the chapters could go on with business as usual doing the good things they do all the time, meetings would get attended, legislative hearings would be announced, information would get out. After all, it is a grassroots membership organization, that is where the strength derives from, it's just that some people up in Nap-Town seem to have forgotten that while plotting their palace intrigues...

#19 ·
As far as I know, I'm still a CCA member (never received anything saying that my membership was about to expire). After reading this thread, I still have no idea what anyone is talking about. Perhaps some details will be forthcoming rather than cryptic allusions?

P.S.: Does this impact MARI?

#21 ·
I said years ago, and as said in the recent presidential race it's "a matter of record" just do a search, that Maryland needed a new clean slate recreational fishermen conservation organization. CCA MD has had it's problems for years at headquarters, MSSA has had its bumps in the road with headquarters as well. The chapters on the other hand of both of these organizations have been made up of good people who want to do that right thing and as importantly just love fishing. A new organization starts clean, no history, bad blood, this that or the other. I proposed a merger of the chapters into a new org, I called for the leadership of both orgs to put personal agenda aside and put the fish first. Usually when the time is right the opportunity presents itself, maybe that time is now, maybe not, but sooner or later a new clean slate org is what it is going to take to get things to a place where there is nothing but positive energy.

Just my 2 cents...

Brandon

#29 ·
THE OFFICIAL LIE:

Statement re: Executive Board Action

"The Executive Board took its action because enough members in the Southern Maryland chapter couldn’t be identified to assume leadership positions for the chapter. A chapter without leaders would be a chapter in name only."

Of course, we had a volunteer President and VP and a Treasurer and several members who were willing to step forward in a temporary appointment, but those officers weren't acceptable to the EB.

#30 ·
THE OFFICIAL LIE:

Statement re: Executive Board Action

"The Executive Board took its action because enough members in the Southern Maryland chapter couldn't be identified to assume leadership positions for the chapter. A chapter without leaders would be a chapter in name only."

Of course, we had a volunteer President and VP and a Treasurer and several members who were willing to step forward in a temporary appointment, but those officers weren't acceptable to the EB.
Why couldn't the Southern Maryland chapter enroll enough members to sustain a chapter? There are loads of rec fishermen in the area.

#36 ·
I am a member of CCA-S MD, and was at the Sep meeting. As I departed the meeting, I was thinking that if they can't get some fresh blood to step up to leadership it is going to be a long slow year. I live up North of DC, so for me, getting to the meetings is a challenge. I still believe in CCA and all it stands for. It is doing great work on both Coasts and in the Gulf. Just because one chapter is having leadership problems is not a reason to walk off in a huff.

I'll still support the YP meetings and Oyster restoration program as I have in the past.

Guess I'll start looking for a chapter closer to home.

Dave

aka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.