Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An associated press article hailing the return of whales to Long Island Sound credits two year reduction in menhaden harvests. The increase in food supply has brought more whales to the area causing concern to recreational boaters. Google : Whale hiatus in Long Island Sound.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, absolutely not seeing the connection here? Googled it not one report of a boater dieing because of a whale. I think the article is more about compliance with the Federal Mandate to stay away from a protected species of whales. Otherwise, as most boaters with any experience know you should have your eye on the horizon for anything that may be in the water and can cause harm to your hull.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was tongue in cheek MSNBC Brian Williams version. The point is, if we let the menhaden population grow the fish will return. Read the Virginia posts and see photos of how Omega Proteins is literally sucking up schools of menhaden daily. I believe their quota was increased recently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, they did recently increase Omega's allowance, based on a belief that there are older, larger fish off the coast of New England. With this assumption, the numbers they relied on showed an increased total biomass (weight) of menhaden, but still showed that the total number of fish is at a record low. I can't tell whether they reworked the historical data to account for these older fish. It sure looks like they worked really hard to come up with some kind of argument to justify raising Omega's allowance. Maybe they should just measure the menhaden population in the Chesapeake and fix Omega's allowance based on numbers that are actually relevant to the bay and Omega's menhaden fishery.

Is there an end to Virginia's menhaden harvest season, or is it just whenever Omega has caught the entire allowance?

Here's a CBF article: http://cbf.typepad.com/chesapeake_bay_foundation/science/

·
Registered
467 Posts
"Is there an end to Virginia's menhaden harvest season, or is it just whenever Omega has caught the entire allowance?"

Virginia is not for LOVERS Virginia Is for IDIOTS!!!!! I wonder if they have restarted dredging the winter crabs yet? as they think the bay belongs to them and all crabs are Virginia crabs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Terry McAuliffe is an ASS, I apologize for his irrational remarks, what a tool, he's going to flush Virginia down the toilet just like Martin O'Malley did with Maryland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts