Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I guess I'm dense because I didn't find any bait last time out. That was under the small bridge at Occ 1 and in a small area there abouts. Lots of bait in deeper water about 15 feet down, but I don't know if the cast net will work for deep bait. Seems like the bait are somewhere else.

Can anyone tell me where I might look? Well, it will be about two weeks before I can get out again, but being pointed in the right direction would really help. There are always the bass minnows I've used before, but they don't seem very effective as compared to shad.

Sure appreciate the frequent striper reports as they give me hope that one day . . .

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
33 Posts
The bait was pretty easy to catch at the bridge in Sandy Creek Saturday but it's best to be there before dawn. With water temps in the 40's jumbo shinners from Bobcats will work just fine and ones you don't kill while fishing will last for months if properly maintained.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bait

As I was heading to Richmond this morning (Monday) at dawn, the bait was so thick in front of the new ramps at Occ1 you probably could have scooped it up.

About 20' is my limit for bait when throwing the heavy artillery--10 ft. radius 1.5(?) lb. per foot. A heavy sucker, but it works.

Catchin' bait at Bobcat's is my choice when it gets colder and the fish are back in the creeks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Roe,

Whew, I bought an 8' West Coast and while I can get it to open on the grass, it is heavy for my small frame. Maybe what I need to get some exercise. Haven't tried it off the front of the Neptune yet and it might not be managible. Thinking to try a 6 foot that will be appreciably lighter. The 3 and 4 foot ancient nets that I have don't work very well in my hands regardless of the casting technique. That's even after the Downy treatment.

The reason I wanted to try shad is because I reasoned that the shiners weren't near as effective for stripers.

Cast netting for bait is part of the game and I'm committed to learning. I worry about trying the cast net while I'm alone on the boat. Most I see do it OK without worry of being in with the bait. I did find that I needed a second loop around my wrist to keep the line from flying off - not fun.

BTW, my poor eyes can't see the pods from the top of the bridge. Need to be very close!

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
38 Posts
JTB,
I can relate to the line flying off your arm part and had that recently happen. I did read an article that suggested tieing the net's lead line to the boat, especially when fishing alone....reason, in case you snag the net while the boat is moving; there is the possibility of being pulled out of the boat. I did this about a year or so ago in windy conditions and it nearly pulled me out of the boat; my boat is only 18'. Safety first, keep practicing in the yard and be persistant. I am in no way an expert, but have gotten much better with practice.
If you have not tried this style of throwing, take a look: YouTube - How to throw a castnet

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bait was pretty easy to catch at the bridge in Sandy Creek Saturday but it's best to be there before dawn. With water temps in the 40's jumbo shinners from Bobcats will work just fine and ones you don't kill while fishing will last for months if properly maintained.
Hi Striperchaser1,

Got my surgery over (colonoscopy) and the prelim results didn't look good. The doc couldn't get the largest polyp out in one piece, so there will be another yeck procedure in a few weeks. That will be about the time the biopsy come back. Worry, worry, well, no as I can't do anything about the outcome anyway. Just keep trying to learn to catch striped bass and let other things work out as they may.

I'm a bit envious that you can get to the water before light. My daughter is a night person and noon is usually her earliest awakening. I always wake early enough, but need her help with the loading of the boat after the fishing event. Too far to drive to bring her on later in the day. She's decided to stay with me until after Xmas and that will allow me more time on the water. I haven't learned how to recover my boat on the trailer. Well, maybe it's just that I haven't bought some hip waders yet. The bow is so high and the tongue so short that there's always water between the bumper and the bow. Some tell me that there's no time to screw around - get a different boat! Well, maybe there is a Santa . . . In the meantime, I'll get serious about welding a platform for the bow stop on the trailer and maybe a platform for the tongue.

I buy a lot of stuff from Bobcats, but the only time I bought shiners, many were toast before I got to the water and that was in my 5 gallon bait spa with the aerator going. Maybe they were in Bobcat's tank too long (unlikely). Maybe something I did (typical). The shiners from Buggs Island have lasted for a week in the 5 gallon bucket in warmer weather. Does take some attention to changing water, shad saver, and defoam treatment. So you have other advice for keeping them longer? I recently bought a 30 gallon live well. Maybe it takes two live wells to maintain them for long periods. Bobcats has several that vary considerably in price.

I should be back in Scottsburg later today and may be able to get the boat in the water on Sat if the weather is OK.

Thanks for your replay,

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've never had problems with Bobcats bait. I keep them in Grayline 30 gallon tank on the boat without adding anything else. I change the water about once per week with well water. I have a 110v timer hooked to a battery charger. With the battery charger turned on 3amps it runs my live well pump. I have it set to come on and run for about 30 minutes every few hours. No exaggeration, I have kept those jumbo shiners alive for well over two months. I've had the tank water freeze over and they were still swimming underneath. They are TOUGH !!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never had problems with Bobcats bait. I keep them in Grayline 30 gallon tank on the boat without adding anything else. I change the water about once per week with well water. I have a 110v timer hooked to a battery charger. With the battery charger turned on 3amps it runs my live well pump. I have it set to come on and run for about 30 minutes every few hours. No exaggeration, I have kept those jumbo shiners alive for well over two months. I've had the tank water freeze over and they were still swimming underneath. They are TOUGH !!!
Hi StriperChaser1,

Really a nasty drive from Ashburn, VA to Scottsburg, VA today even with the stop at Bass Pro for lunch. Got a pair of camo hip waders because they were on sale and I'll try loading the boat on the ramp by myself in the near future. Still got to build the platform for the front trailer stop and possibly the trailer tongue. With my daughter watching, she can get me out of trouble if it occurs.

I had a suspicion that I did something wrong the time I got the bait at Bobcats. I have the 30 gallon tank sitting in the boat and for now, it's virgin. I've got a few timers around here, I'm sure, but finding one is like pulling hen's teeth. Seems that the weather will be OK for getting on the water if the wind cooperates through Monday. After that, it's all rain for the rest of the week. Might not be so bad, but the rain is COLD. I think today there was lots of freezing rain mixed in with the wet stuff.

BTW, I have several small ponds (600 gallons) with continuous water circulation that runs even with an inch of ice on the surface. Two pumps flow through a bio/UV filter that has kept all my fish alive during the hot summers for several years. But, I put non-iodized salt in the ponds too. I don't feed the fish in the colder part of the winter because they can't digest the cereal feed. They do fine under the ice. They don't move much, but they come out of it in the spring just fine. Only problem is that I have some channel catfish in with them and the catfish are getting bigger all the time. Don't have any small fish in the pond anymore. :( Unfortunately, several are too big for the ponds and I can't catch them.

Well, tomorrow will be a good day to fill the live well and begin a new learning experience.

Thanks for the advice,

Regards, Joy T Brew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts