Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took another look at this 19’ cuddy I’m looking to purchase. The ‘cockpit’ area of the boat consists of a captain’s seat, and 2 seats in the back next to the I/O engine. I just found a soft spot on the floor about the size of softball, to the left of the captain’s seat, where the double seat (if it had one) would be. The floor is covered in carpet and I assume it is made of wood. Is this a major concern or not. The owner kept his crab pots in that spot, do you think that caused the problem? Also, What if I put a double seat there, will that help prevent further damage? They just boat a brand new cover for the boat so the floor will not be open to any standing water while its not being used. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
A soft floor is a sign that water has getting between the fiberglass and into the wood for a period of time. One small soft spot may not be a big deal but it could be an indication of a bigger problem. Its a good chance that the seat was fastened to the boat without proper sealing of the screw holes. I would want to take a look under the carpet and see if you can see any more damage. Walk around inside and put your weight on one foot and bounce a little to see if you can find other spots. It could be an easy fix because you have carpet covering the repair or when you get into the job other wood may be damaged. One question. Is the floor of the boat covered with fiberglass or just treated plywood. If its not covered than there is a good chance other damage is there. If you realy like the boat and do not know what to look for you could get a marine survey about $300 or have someone with knowledge look at the boat. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The soft is really no concern for now but will need attention in a few years. From the sound of the layout it's really no big deal to replace the floor, 3/4" plywood, epoxy seal, etc and you're good to go. Stringers would be a bigger concern if you can get access to inspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts