Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMHO the last few years the striped bass fishing south near Solomons has been poor in the main bay area. So I've been fishing Choptank area more and more. Now the few remaining rock that were available near the Choptank are ABOVE the bridge!
Hell the Ches. Beach fleet is fishing above the bay bridge!
So I decided to try Solomons again. Wow!! what's happened to the rockfishing down there. The charters that are still in Solomons are all fishing for Spot and other bottom fish. I saw them in the river everyday.
I never once saw a school of breaking fish at Cedar pt or anywhere else for that matter.
Gotta wonder what's going on with the Striped bass population in the bay when it seems like there is only one place each year that holds stripers.
On a positive note the Spot fishing was very good for large and jumbo spot! And I did catch a few bluefish some days.
It's nowhere near like it used to be. What a shame.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was out there too. I tried the bottom fishing for croaker and only caught one. We only fished a couple of hours on Saturday evening but I was still expecting to do better. We did troll a bit in the afternoon for blues just outside of the mouth of the Pax but didn't even spot any schools of bait. Seems dead!

Steve

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
IMHO the last few years the striped bass fishing south near Solomons has been poor in the main bay area. So I've been fishing Choptank area more and more. Now the few remaining rock that were available near the Choptank are ABOVE the bridge!
Hell the Ches. Beach fleet is fishing above the bay bridge!
So I decided to try Solomons again. Wow!! what's happened to the rockfishing down there. The charters that are still in Solomons are all fishing for Spot and other bottom fish. I saw them in the river everyday.
I never once saw a school of breaking fish at Cedar pt or anywhere else for that matter.
Gotta wonder what's going on with the Striped bass population in the bay when it seems like there is only one place each year that holds stripers.
On a positive note the Spot fishing was very good for large and jumbo spot! And I did catch a few bluefish some days.
It's nowhere near like it used to be. What a shame.
The charter guys south should be beating down DNR's door trying to find out why their beloved fishery is dead. Instead they all move their boats north and keep on killing. These captains don't give 1 **** about these fish! They are fishing themselves out of a job. I hope they are flipping burgers at mcdonalds very soon! To many want to profit off these fish. Greedy and ignorant bastards. Kill them all....
DNR is a joke

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hammer Time - ease up!!!

What would you do if you had tens of thousands tied up in a charter boat business - not fish?

The limit on rockfish is 2 per person, very very restrictive. Back in the early 70's there was no limit and fish were caught by the wash tub on charters and there was no minimum size.

The fact that the fish have chosen to move north is anybody's guess, why blame someone for a biological occurrence? For years they were down south and the Bay Bridge area was the dead sea. Things change...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The charter guys south should be beating down DNR's door trying to find out why their beloved fishery is dead. Instead they all move their boats north and keep on killing. These captains don't give 1 **** about these fish! They are fishing themselves out of a job. I hope they are flipping burgers at mcdonalds very soon! To many want to profit off these fish. Greedy and ignorant bastards. Kill them all....
DNR is a joke
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hammer time why blame the Charters? I noticed there were still a lot of Charter boats fishing out of Solomons and they were not Rockfishing. So they all didn't go North. I don't begrudge the ones that did though. I doubt seriously the Charter guys are to blame for the lack of Rockfish. But I do agree DNR has their head in the sand about the lack of striped bass in the Bay.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is 5 years in a row that the rockfish have mostly abandoned Solomons in Summer. Until the mackerel and blues show in August best to be happy with bottom fishing in summer. While disappointing, I've adapted comfortably by taking my kids, Boy Scouts, neighbors, etc. bottom fishing (which is quite good right now). It is a lot of fun for most people, burns less fuel, needs less time on the water (in the heat), and is less stressful than rockfishing. When I hook a skate, now I actually try to catch it rather than breaking it off so they have an exciting story to tell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know Hammertime really well and he is super passionate about the fishery and has a lot of knowledge about the bay.

The fact is the charter fleet does put a dent in our fishery, just like the commercial fleet and the recs.

Let's not kid ourselves about the lack of fish. Continued harvest of the breeding stock year after year hurts the replenishment of the fishery. Ad in less overall stock replenishment, combined with more harvesting of what new stock does exist (ie summer/resident fish) before they mature only hurts the fishery more.

To say that charters don't have an effect on both spring and summer fisheries is foolish. The charters goal is to limit out each trip twice a day. They make a dent. May be that's why the waters they traditionally fish are no longer viable.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
DNR is a joke
I will 2nd that but don't for get the rec's that live on the water . Run a limit in and go after another. Nother moratorium is in our future .

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree..The charter Capt are limiting out 2x/ day and the Rock Fish gets no breaks. The Rock Fish gets hammered all year including winter. No other fish takes a beating like Rock Fish.. O sea D is right..there's another shut down coming. Add crabs and Canada Geese to that also. I'll Be selling and moving south when that all happens.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Limit may be restrictive but when the fish each year set up in one place and get hammered there is no other way but to say it is terrible. His wording might not be the best but his perspective isn't far off. Maybe consider c/r as a viable option ( for the big charters), I know you do. I heard Pete say there were 500 boats up there on a recent Sunday. I know it is an exaggeration but pick a number and do the math (100 + boats on average 5 days per week with 4 person limit per day = close to 5,000 fish killed in that one area per week. It doesn't seem sustainable! Just my humble observation. J

Hammer Time - ease up!!!

What would you do if you had tens of thousands tied up in a charter boat business - not fish?

The limit on rockfish is 2 per person, very very restrictive. Back in the early 70's there was no limit and fish were caught by the wash tub on charters and there was no minimum size.

The fact that the fish have chosen to move north is anybody's guess, why blame someone for a biological occurrence? For years they were down south and the Bay Bridge area was the dead sea. Things change...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Hammer these guys are playing by the rules, they don't make them DNR does. Many folks that go out on charters do not own a boat and pay for a days fishing on a charter and should have the same opportunities to catch fish the same as those of us that do have boats. Your beef should be with the people that make the rules.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just take a look at all the dead undersized rockfish floating in the bridge region every day and tell me that we aren't killing a lot of them. What concerns me more each year is the lack of juvenile rockfish that used to be everwhere from Love Pt south to Crisfield. It wasn't unusual in the fall to see school after school of them lined up working every school of bait that traveled up the channel edges. I am seeing less and less every year.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Gentlemen
I may be out of line with my post. Sorry about that to the Captains. I'm not blaming them they are within the law

It just seems like no one really cares that
something is wrong. And this year it's apparent. The blinders need to come off.

Something is up and we can't just sit back. The charters should be first in line looking for answers that's all. Hope somebody steps up. We need to find out why certain traditional areas are now non viable. Is the water bad? Is the food not there? Are the fish that depleted? Wtf is going on. I enjoy the hell out of catching these fish and I want it to continue for a long time

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
o.k guys... a question for all of you! what happened back in the nineties when the rock feesh population got really low?? moratorium, that's what. and now is the time for another moratorium. catch and release only. I, for one , see it as the only solution to rock feeshing in the bay, and to get the rock populations back up to where they were after that moratorium. it.s as plain and simple as looking at yourself in a mirror. I, for one , say ..... moratorium now!!!!!
it worked once , and I think it will work again, if we just have the balls to do it again.....all of us!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that the only place in the entire bay that is holding Rockfish is believed to be the north of the bridge. That there is only one community of fish in the bay and they are all in one spot, Really?? I do believe that as a result of reports that it is an area that is being over targeted.

The fish will reside in areas that have good water for them, salinity, DO, temperature and food. I doubt, unscientifically that the rest of the bay does not provide a livable environment.

But what do I know as a guy who just reads the internet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm with calpn trayt. How about moratoriums on rock for all (commercial and rec), have Virginia shut down Omega and their menhaden vacuums, ban all of the nets. Just maybe, after a few years, there might be a decent fishery again.

Only a few years ago I saw basketball-court sized schools of bunker everywhere, even right outside the Pax. Been years since I've seen that.

I called a charter captain a week ago about hiring him to go out from Solomons, he flatly and honestly told me that all we could hope for was to catch a few bottom fish. This is not simply fish showing up in different places this year; this is a disaster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gill Nets gone makes sense to me. Omega/menhaden fishery is a big contributor in my mind. Big tournaments spring and fall breeding stock migration is also significant. Total spring moratorium for 5 years?

·
Registered
488 Posts
A different observation:

I fish the Magothy/ Podickory area, often from shore. Over the last couple years when I've gone w perch fishing all I could catch was 8-12" rock. after a few i move on to get away from them. So my anticdodal evidence is that there are a lot of little rock ( more that other years) in the area I've fished for years.. Some good news! Ihope...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts