Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bigfish: :rockingreport:

Left Solomons at 0615 in moderate fog for HI area, thank God for Lowrance chartplotter ! Had half the spread in again 72 ft of water on western side of channel and first rod with tandem white chutes goes down. Boated and boxed a nice 37 inch fish. Boy, with only two of us we may get the limit really quick. NOT! Just like Vets Day, we went about 3.5 hours without another touch (no bananas onboard, I checked). About the time the tide switched to incoming things picked up with a 24 inch slot fish. Then we had the same white tandems go screeming out only to come unbuttoned just as I was taking the first turn (missed the hookset I guess when the rubber band snapped from the planer line?). Then we had a slot fish come undone after a few seconds on the deep short rod. At least business was picking up, but I was afraid to touch another do with a fish on it after two tries. But the next bite was solid, and taking line in a hurry off the deep short rod (out 75 ft). By the time I could slow her down she was out almost as long as the WTFB at 225 ft, I knew it was a big fish as soon as I took the rod in hand, so I had the guest start clearing some lines on the port side of the boat.

The natural tendency for guys to do when a big fish takes alot of line is tighten the drag. Even though I have 80 lb braid and 80 lb mono leaders, I don't tighten down so as not to pull the hook. Think about it, you have all the time in the world to get the line back afer the fish gets in her first big runs, and you don't want to take a chance of pulling the hook with a cranked down drag. Anyway, when she first surfaced way out there I could see a huge, wide tail and lots of girth, so I was getting excited about what may lie ahead. I pumped and reeled as smootly as I could, and as big fish do, she had a few tricks like crossing the stern when 30 ft from the boat to the other side collecting two lines and giving her a chance at getting away. We managed to untangle one line but not the other. It all ended with us not being able to get her totally in the net (like the line from Jaws, "we're gonna need a bigger net" (boat in the movie)). We had to both get a grip on her lower jaw to lift her in the boat. She measured 46 inches and I had estimated she was pushing 40 lbs with the unbelievale girth on her. When I took her to the Tackle Box later she went into the books for the citation at 46 inches and 37 lbs.

We would get another 3 bites after that, all slot fish, and one of them went into the box to round out our limit of overs and unders. We reeled in the lines and headed for the house. Almost all bites came on white tandems, a few on the white umbrellas. What I would expect for a cloudy and foggy day. The western side of the channel from 55 to 80 ft produced all our bites. Looking ahead to the winds forecasts I am glad I sacrificed a day of vacation for this outing, especially to be introduced to this 25.5 inch girth beauty !

LO :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
sounds like a great way to spend a day of vacation. Now if only I could get one of those monsters to take a taste of my lines. nice work!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That's awesome advice. The first time I ever hooked a really big fish in the bay was at the RIPS. It was screaming down the chute and was peeling line off. I was getting very nervous and was getting ready to tighten the drag. Relax! Daryl yelled, Time is on your side.

I have used that idea ever since then, and I think it has helped me get several big fish into the boat!

Nice fish too :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the pix scnned in but I never have been able to compress it enough to fit into the size this board allows. If I could email it to someone and have them shrink it down and post it, that would be great. If you go by the Tackle Box any time soon, it is on the counter by the register.

LO:))

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice work on that big guy. We had a similar deal last friday on a 38 and 41 hooked up on the same tandem rig. We lost our two biggest or at least biggest pullers last spring due to drag being tightened. I guess the old friends who go out w/me think that the drags too loose if its smokin and screamin. Anyways since I know these guys going back 30 years the rule this fall is touch the drags and you're done for the day (tough love)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Always remember that a fish taking line automatically tightens the drag! If anything, you should back off the drag if a fish takes a long run.

On a conventional reel (where the "Spool" itself is usually fairly narrow), drag essentially doubles each time half of the line is removed... so a half spool has twice the drag of a full spool. A quarter spool has 4 times the drag of a full spool. and 1/8th of spool would have 8 times the drag.

Actually, the drag doubles every time the total diameter of the cylindar (spool + line) is cut in half. Since the spool on a spinning rod comprises much more of the total diameter, the impact of a fish taking line is less pronounced, but still there. However, since we usually have MUCH lighter lines on spinning reels, there is less margin for error, and the net result is the same (the more line you have out, the greater the chance it will break).

This is ESPECIALLY pronounced with braided line, since there is no stretch. If you dump 1/2 the spool (total diameter) on a rod with 60 pound mono that was set to 15 pounds of drag at the house, you now have 30 pounds of drag. With mono, a sudden surge will be at least in part cushioned buy the several hundred feet of stretchy line you have out. With braid, you now have drag set at half the rated breaking point of the line and almost no extra cushioning.

Bottom line - never tighten down the drag on a fish if your drag was initially set correctly, unless as a last resort. I guess if you're going to be spooled by a fish, then you might as well... but you significantly increase the risk of breaking him off by doing so (which is no worse than being spooled). But in general, a fish making a big run on you is tightening its own drag, and it is getting increasing hard (actually, exponentially hard) to pull the longer he runs.

With rockfish, I can't see getting spooled unless you are way undergunned. Knock the boat in and out of gear as necessary before you touch the drag.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason,

Wish I could have been out there today, winds looked very doable. but there's this thing called work. You been out lately ? Man, there were some major fish caught during the tourney despite the winds.

LO :yes:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Jason,

Wish I could have been out there today, winds looked very doable. but there's this thing called work. You been out lately ? Man, there were some major fish caught during the tourney despite the winds.

Oh yea, Check out my post from the 12th last wed. I caught a 47" inch 35 lbs. Going this wed to find her boy freind bubba. I heard a charter boat limited out by 8:30 this morning on some cow's. http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...land-angler/247412-nov-12th-good-fishing.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hakuna,

When you swing into the shallower water with some smaller baits on it is still very possible to get your slot fish on the lines. When I have my overs in the box I like to downsize for a while and see if the slot fish are there and biting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts