Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker and I left the ramp right behind Bfaithful @6:35. The plan was to run to the HS but we starting picking up good marks a few miles south of Cedar Point and decided to give it try.

I got all 14 rods out and starting started working my way out into deeper water when I came upon someone working a couple of nets between the channel. I turned south to work my way around the nets and ran over a huge pile of bait. The first passed turned up nothing but the second time around we had 2 rods go down. One of the rods stayed tight and he had our first fish in the box twenty minutes into the day. We continued working the area for the next couple of hours picking up a fish or two on just about every pass.

By now it’s now a little after noon and we had already boated 17 fish. Time we rewarded ourselves with an ice-cold beverage break. About half way into my drink, the FF lights up like a Christmas tree. Bait filled the bottom half the screen with big red blobs dominating the upper parts of the water column. Normally I would have been jumping for joy but today, with only two people on¬board and 14 lines in the water, my only thought was “Oh, sh$$, we’re trouble now”.

The first rod to take off was the WWB back followed immediately by the WB. (I would have thought the boat rods would be first, go figure). Here we are, fish on the two longest lines on boat, and the planer clips start popping. First off the starboard board then the port, now what!!!

The next 15-20 minutes was crazy. I gave up fighting fish and focused my attention mainly on getting the fish boated and back in the water as my partner got them to the boat. When it was all over, we had boated and released 10 fish on the 12 rods that had gone down in the mayhem.

My partner wanted to set the lines for a second pass but I was ready to throw in the towel. With a 25 of the Scotty’s out on the boards, rods laying about the boat in disarray and my arms aching, it was time to call it a day. We got everything stowed and where underway back to the ramp by 1:30.

Total tally for the day was 27 fish in the boat on 31 knockdowns. The smallest fish was just shy of 36” and the largest went 42”. We had eight fish over 40” with the majority of them running 38-39” in length.

The fish hit on just about everything. Most fish came off the boards but to my surprise the WWB lines equaled those of the boat rods. Oddly enough, the individual bait that caught the most fish was a 21 Tony fished with a 4 oz in-line on the WWB rod.

BTW: If you are in the area watch out for something that is roughly15-20’ long and looks like a telephone pole floating around. Never saw it until my one planer board started acting funny. Looked out and saw the board dragging along on the outside of the object. It would have been one heck of the mess if it had gotten tangled up in the lines.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Awesome. Great read.

That's when you knock it down to two or three trolling rods just so you can finish your beer. Or find the pod of fish and cast to them.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
I often wonder how many Rock have been caught on a Tony #21 - I really like that lure :thumbup:.

Sounds like you guys had your hands full - congrats on an awesome day :clapping2:.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We must have been in the same neighborhood,we fished around those nets with orange floats also. We didnt get the lines in the water and boom had our 4 fish limit. We got back to the ramp at the same time you did. Keith

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
A very nice report. I wish I had some time to get down there. I hope they'll stick around for anoth 10 days...........:))

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
When you're hot you're hot, things seemed to really go your way WTG :clapping2: Phil (Lily), a bunch of his friends, my son in law and I are gonna give it try tomorrow Saturday) on the Fin Finder. Hope you guys left a few. Looking forward to it in a big way!!!! :thumbup: Congrats to you and your crew on a great day in not great weather.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skip – I have pulled a #21 Tony religiously for years. You know your Tony has mojo when passing Gantts circle back and fall in behind the boat to take a look. :thumbup:

Doggydaddy – There was no beverage lost or harmed in the boating of these fish. :D:D

Leon – I hope they stay around as well. I have a couple of guys coming down from Albany the day after Christmas to give it a try

Reeltor - I have one of those pretentious Grady owners that everyone speaks so highly of. :pp
I saw a Parker 25 a couple of times throughout the day but for the most part we where pretty much all alone.

kwalk59 – We worked southwest of the orange buoys all morning. Seemed like 49-50’ of water was the ticket. The fish never really moved from one spot. The morning tracks easily fit on a 0.2nm zoom on the chart plotter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sweet report you guys had a pretty good pull to boat ratio considering the hands/fish good job. Really wanted to fish on Thur but had to pickup my kid from college.
Did you catch any unders? Putting my boat back in the water for the rest of the season one trip like your last one will do me for the season two would hold me until spring.
:)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet report you guys had a pretty good pull to boat ratio considering the hands/fish good job. Really wanted to fish on Thur but had to pickup my kid from college.
Did you catch any unders? Putting my boat back in the water for the rest of the season one trip like your last one will do me for the season two would hold me until spring.
:)
The small fish of the day was just shy of 36".

We had a monster or a double on the deep rod that came unglued. I fish that rod (#50 class rod - 113H - #80 PP) 50' behind the boat with a very heavy drag. It takes a darn good fish to pull drag let alone at the rate this fish was pulling it.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Clyde --- WTG Guy. You had said the other day you were going after them and it sounds like you really did it!. I know for SURE that there was NO liquid beverage wasted during this epic battle.
Congratulations on a TREMENDOUS DAY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts