Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rare for me to find opportunity to fish multiple days in a row, but Mackerel season will motivate me to do it, especially when spurred on by that fantastic report from Ken Lamb of the St. Mary's County Tourist Bureau!
Thursday had a Scout Troop out. Brisk SE winds made it an adventure for them for sure. Trolled the mackerel spread on breakers in the mouth of the River from Drum Point to Second Beach. No mackerel, but put 15 medium blues in the box, released 20+ undersized rock to 19.99", and released some smaller blues. Fish were mostly in the crab pots, so only used 2-3 rods the whole time.
Friday same deal with the wind, but it was N so we had a little lee in the mouth (but it is frustrating how a N wind bends around Cove Point to keep it rough farther into the mouth than you'd think). Same fishing, lots of breakers mostly medium bluefish, not quite as many rockfish in the mix, no smacks. They were outside of the crab pots most of the time, so used 4 rods, soon supplemented with chum from a couple of my friends on board. Came into River after a couple hours and wailed on big Spot, double headers, plus a couple cool puffer fish.
Today, same deal with the brisk N wind, but the Mackerel showed! Caught 11 nice Macks and lost several more in the choppy seas. Plenty of medium sized blues and undersized rock again today, but I sure do love seeing those Macks pop up behind the boat with their fin up in the air and purple glean from the sun! Not nearly as many breaking fish today as previous two days, but the action was still very good around the bait balls, many instances of all rods loaded up at once. Tons of bait out there in the mouth all three days.
FWIW I pull Drone spoons in sizes 0, 1, and 2. Silver spoon with gold tape is far and way my favorite for Macks. #2 planers on braid out 50' on each side, and #1 planers on braid out 120'-150' on each side. Sometimes I sneak a #2 planer on mono out down the middle 80'-90'. 20' leaders of 50 lb. mono with a bead chain swivel in the middle of the leader. Thursday and Friday the size #1 spoons caught best, today the size 0 and size 2 spoons outperformed. IMHO Silver drone spoons with gold reflective tape are key for Macks at Solomons. If you can't find them, bass pro sells the right tape, I often buy silver spoons and add the tape myself. Good luck out there, I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just getting familiar with Solomons area I know where Drum Point it where is second beach? I was out there yesterday at the mouth of the Bay where all the head boats where all i saw people catching was small spot and croaker I did see a few people trolling though. Still trying to learn the waters.. Just got my first boat. I was hanging around all the head boats around the mouth.

·
Registered
589 Posts
go past 3 legged stool & out into bay proper. Once you see crab pots you are in the bay. There is a channel running out pax river almost due east& you can troll either side of the river channel but you do not want to hook a crabpot. Normally have better luck north side of river channel. but no harm in trolling beween 2 green bouy either mouth of pax river. & trolling speed for spanish is a little faster than for rocks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Second Beach is between Drum Point and Little Cove Point on the left as you head out to the main Bay, closer to Little Cove Point. The breaks between the cliffs on the way out have private beaches. There is currently a pound net slightly before Second Beach on your way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts