Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got up at fishing time to go to work today and was in the office as the sun was rising. Worked until around 11 and then headed to the house to grab the truck and boat.

Met Ty Tydings (who I bought my boat from) and headed for Solomons. We played around in the river around Pt Patience and marked some stuff but only caught a white perch or two.

Daryl soon showed up at the ramp and we picked him up and headed for the bay. I immedietly headed northeast and was headed towards the Choptank but I was interupted by a visible slick on the water. It got my attention because it was right on the channel edge, and there were a few birds sitting on the water there too.

Dropped down and Daryl immedietly hooked up with a 33" rock. Seconds later Ty had a nice 26" fish on. We were not marking anything but there were clearly some fish there.

I made several more drifts and lost the fish. Dang! I didn't get a shot at a nice fish.

Because we had spent some time there I opted to go the the rips instead of the Choptank because of the whole sun setting early thing. Like Saturday there were some keeper sized fish there but not easy to catch. They Bayliner anchored up at the very front didn't have a shot at them, but saw Tony Hill so we knew we were on the meat.

We finished out our six fish limit there with some 20" stuff and turned south headed for Cedar Point. We were on fish, and I know you don't leave fish to find fish, but sometimes I leave average fish with the hopes of finding better than average fish and I thought I might be able to entice a 30" on the rocks.

It was not to be. Nothing at the rocks or the rip. Ty spotted some birds working in the Hollow so we blasted off for them. They were there, and there were alot of them but they were small small small like 14-16" fish.

Started going back to the river to try and find some river fish but found another flock at Drum Point. There were alot of fish and they stayed up, but they were even smaller than the ones in the Hollow. It was getting dark though so we decided to just stay on them and C&R until dark. We put on topwaters and watched with glee as these small guys tried to smack plugs as big as they were.

When it was all said and done we had a 33" fish and a 31" fish, and a lot more unders. By the end of the day, the clicker counted 58 fish. Not a bad afternoon after all. I guess maybe I will give the light rods another try before I break otu the broomsticks. My faith has been restored.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's a good day. You could have been like me a hit a deer tonight in the Z. Maybe totaled. Mangled it good. Life is sweet..........

Frank
"Skirtchaser"

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I launched around 3:45. Nothing by the house so I went south again. Found some average fish around Boy's club. Snotty ride home- I was thinking of you flying over the wave tops and rearranging gas tanks. I took it a little bit slower.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Franko, WOW! I will call you soon. Are you OK?

Dal-I played with my new trim tabs alot yesterday. Trimmed down the Whaler ran 10 times better into the slop. I should have bought them months ago!

·
Registered
230 Posts
WTG...Thanks for the report, if you want to save some fuel, the middle of the river is holding some real nice fish.
TIGHT LINES!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MM,
One of my new years resolutions for 2009 is going to be to slow down and fish the fish most people miss.

As we were headed out around Drum Point, I saw a slick saw birds, even smelt bait being mauled but thought they were probably smaller fish or bluefish and kept heading out for the bay because of the afternoon time constraint.

Next year, I will try and catch hose fish!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Sounds like a decent day to me. 75 fish......a couple of 30's.........keep those broomsticks in the barn for a few more weeks!!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey man,
If I can keep plucking a few more 30's off, I don't think there is any reason to switch to trolling. With a little luck, I can make the remainder of the jigging season here stretch all the way to the CBBT season.

We will have to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts