Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill called me at 9:00 this morning to see if I was interested in a Solomons trip tonight. After talking to Francis earlier in the week, and reading his fishing report, I jumped at the chance. We stopped at Marty's on the way through Annapolis and talked to Jim & Sean for a little while. I picked out a big chartreuse Super Spook which turned out to be a winner. We didn't get on the water until about 2:30 PM. After launching into the Pax we looked for a point with good current and put a quick rockfish limit in the boat. We then headed off toward the channel to look for blues. It took about 90 minutes, but we finally found breaking fish south of the Targets on the east side of the channel. Nice ones too. No birds to speak of, just lots of nice fish with keeper rock in the mix. Smaller top-water plugs were the ticket for bluefish. We finished the evening back on the points casting big surface lures with even better stripers. I don't want to over-exaggerate the numbers, but we both have sore arms from fish after drag-screaming fish. Blues up to 26 inches and rock up to 30, all but one on top. One of the better afternoons of the year for me.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
That was an awesome afternoon we had Shawn......I'd love to do a turn-around tomorrow but the SWMBO would probally kill me.:D

Damn Shawn, you should have told me to put my hat on for the pics......I'm long overdue for a haircut......was on my way to the barber when you called to say you were finished work today

Bill

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Nice Blue and Rock...looks like some of them pics have the background whited out:nono::D good to know its not just my camera that does that when its sunny. I think mines worse though

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Shawn,

Good job to you and Bill! Some beautiful fish! Glad to see the isopods! The little one on a larger Rock and the larger isopod on a Bluefish?

Mark

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Shawn,

Another great report!! Great rock and blues and those gill lice to boot! Chartruse seems to always be a go to color. :rockingreport: :bigfish:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That was an awesome afternoon we had Shawn......I'd love to do a turn-around tomorrow but the SWMBO would probally kill me.:D

Damn Shawn, you should have told me to put my hat on for the pics......I'm long overdue for a haircut......was on my way to the barber when you called to say you were finished work today

Bill
Hide the knives and hide in the fields next to the house till she has to go to work. Just think of the money you could save if she decapitates you in your sleep send the head to barber

Nice looking fish

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Man you gottta love those Wed Reports!..........:D
Had to work this Wed it just about drove me crazy......will be fishing tomorrow.........:clap:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's an awesome plug for stripers. The trebles are a pain though. In fact, you can see that one is bent in that bottom photo.

Consider replacing the fore and aft hook with a single like this:
Eagle Claw 210 - Open Eye Siwash Hooks

And get rid of the center hook. I use the Super just like that with no change in action or hook up rate. And you're less likely to get hooked while unhooking a fish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
never done topwater in solomons around the points, just a quick question, not asking you to give specific locations but you mentioned points in the river, were you fishing the mouth or north of the bridge? of course any other details you are willing to divulge are always useful thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sweet! Those are some puridy phishes. Way better then my night fixing pot holes in a parking lot. Only thing we have in common is sore arms. Keep those Wednesday reports comming

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
terp_96 There are topwater spots all over the bay......they are all have about the same senerio.........deep water meeting shallow water, causing a rip. ( points, jetties perpendicular to shoreline ect.) Study your charts, hit some spots when the current is moving good and cooincide with low light conditions.

Bill

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Echo - Okay, but as for your fishing stuff, don't forget who had your back when you cussed Anglers! Oh, and put in a good word for me with yer wife too. :D

Zam - Mine does that when I have the flash on.

Mark - You're exactly right. Nice to see sealice.

RiverCat - If it ain't chartruse it ain't no, well you know.... unless of course it's red, or white, or black, or all glittered up like a christmas tree....

Mark - Once you start going down there it's hard not want to go every time.

Grandpafish Jr. & AIK68J - Those fish were all laughing at Bill's hair last night....

Chop Chop - Are those potholes big enough to hold fish?

Paxfish - Right again. Problem with the Heddon spooks is they won't hold up to big rock. I usually replace the hooks, but it was kinda kewl pulling that one off the wall at Jim's Marty's and throwing it right into a fish's mouth. That fish hit on the first cast out of the box but missed, I thew back and he hit two more times before hooking up. Yup, hook straighted on the first fish, but darn what a hot lure. Marty's has more.

Jumbo1 - Thanks for letting me fill in for you on Wednesday. When that big fish came up he said, "My bad, I thought you were Jamie." I told him, "no sweat," and let him go.

Crowbait - I've had the IB visa for a while now, it lets me sneak into SM once in a while.

Terp - Seconds to what Bill said. I'll give you a grid coordinate on the breakers, but top-water spots are tighter than pocket aces.

Roger T - Can't wait to see your reports when you get out again.

Buckster - 'Fraid not. No other boats where we were all night.

Bill - I think I'd be pushing it to go again tonight too. Nice work on those two top-water 26inchers. Man, you're dialed in on practically every fishing method I know of!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Nice Shawn,
Glad the top pop bite is showing up again in the shallows. I was hoping it would. We will see what this weekend brings but I suspect you had the last evening of those giant blues breaking for a while! Maybe all year.

That chart spook is a bad mother. I like the eye more than on any other spook I have ever seen. It looks like the eyes on a custom trolling rig. I am not sure if the fish even see it, but, wow it looks good to me.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the call(s) Francis. Those fish were a little south of where you found them, but your info still put us on them. I hope they hang around after the blow but won't surprise me if they don't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts