Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B-mailed Capt. Kyle (chartreuseking) and told him we were interested in learning about light-tackle fishing in the Pax. I've got an OK handle on the "big-boat" deal out of Solomons (trolling, live-lining, chumming, bottom fishing, etc.), but have always been curious about the topwater bite and other structure fishing in the River I hear rumors of but have never tried (don't want to "experiment" in my twin diesel boat).

Kyle was honest and straightforward with me - he said he was confident we would catch fish doing the light-tackle thing on River, but he thought we'd probably have faster action out in the Bay chasing breakers and fishing other structure. I told him we were more interested in learning the River than chasing breakers out in the Bay (we can do that on my boat).

Boy, did Capt. Kyle deliver. We started out topwater fishing with ZaraSpooks and ChugBugs on some shallow water structure, and the first 30 minutes or so after dawn produced at least exciting 15 blow-ups on the baits, with three nice fish to 24" in the box. What a blast! Sometimes a fish would hit your bait multiple times before it moved 10 feet, other times a fish would explode on your lure right as you were about to lift it from the water at boatside. Not sure why we missed so many of them, but I guess that’s how topwater fishing goes sometimes.

Kyle showed us a bunch more topwater spots for another hour or two, but the bites slowed dramatically as the sun got high. Then we spent a couple hours jigging spoons and BassAssassins on deep structure (25' - 65') and caught a bunch more fish, mostly smallish blues and rock. McG had the hot hand with the deep structure jigging, and literally rubbed it in Kyle’s face one time (beware of the flying bluefish when you fish with McG, he’s got no mercy on those commies).

We finished the trip with a quick run out to the Bay (I was going on my boat in the afternoon, so I wanted to see if any breakers were out front), and we found scattered pods of small rock and blues from Drum Point to south of 77.

This was a VERY educational trip. Capt. Kyle was more than willing to share his vast local knowledge with us, and we really appreciated it. The topwater fishing was tremendously fun. I also appreciated that Kyle wasn’t fishing by a clock, he asked us when we wanted to leave (his suggestion was slightly before sunup since topwater was of high interest) and said he’d keep us out as long as we wanted. He made us feel more like friends than charter customers being shuffled on and off the boat. If you are interested in a guided trip for 2-4 people out of Solomons, I highly recommend Capt. Kyle.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Rich, glad you guys had fun. hit the top water again today with no success. not even a strike. did find the fish right at the point in that spot i showed you. fish this time were barely 18 with a few being in the low 20s. lots of pullage though, and on light tackle thats what you want. hope you guys can go out there and nail em now. good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts