Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I made three different trips to Solomons this weekend. I fished Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of this weekend. It was a case of good, better, best!

Saturday afternoon went out for a few hours with my girlfriend. Ran across the bay and jigged up a quick limit of rockfish in about fifteen minutes of fishing. When I launched earlier, one of the trailer bunks actually came floating off with the boat so I sped back across the bay to fix it at the ramp before it got dark.

Sunday morning I went out first thing with my dad. We tried a couple of shallow water spots close to the ramp first but did not do any good. As we were running across the bay we ran into a flock of birds working. I DO NOT like fishing under breaking fish usually but these were different. They were 4-6lb blues that just wore you out. Soon I attached a fly to the back of a floating plug and we were catching them on almost every cast. There were plenty of rockfish in the schools too, and we finished up the day with a limit of rock and blues int he cooler, plus, we caught and released for three or four hours.

Monday morning I had a motley crew. Three guys which I worked with at first wanted to go, then couldn't go, then could again. Anyway we got on the breakers again and bailed them for several hours. I am talking frothing water, and big blues, and keeper rock jumping out of the water at your plug. It was intense and the guys I was with had never seen anything like that. They all don't get to go fishing that much, so we kept 40 BIG blues and 8 rock and I filleted them back at the house while they cleaned my boat because it was complete carnage! I weighed the blues. Nothing was under 4 pounds and the biggest was over 8 pounds one ounce.

Today is Tuesday and I have already talked to Walleye Pete and Greg Buckner and they are both in these breaking fish again. For whatever reason, these fish have been breaking for several days in the same general area. (in 50 to 70 feet from #77 to the targets) and I have no doubt they will continue to do so until we get a major weather event.

The forage is tiny silversides with an unusually yellowish color and a large lure will not get very much attention. They want something small that imitates the bait, like a fly or small bucktail. When you get them dialed in, the bite in unbelievable. These are the largest bluefish I have every witnessed breaking in my entire life (I am only 26 years old) Get them while you can, because it is an absolute blast.

On another note-the shallows are currently devoid of fish for whatever reason. I, along with others, have witnessed the same thing over the past two days. They are going deep, at least for the time being. Of course tomorrow could be completely different.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Nice report Francis - how many hours you got on that yammie now? You are certainly getting your money's worth out of it!!!

-Mike

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
We were in em Sunday night. My nephew, on liberty from the Navy, had a great time. Blood and bluefish barf all over the boat.

They were gladly taking big 5 inch plugs on the surface. Throw across the breakers, rip it back super fast to separate the wheat from the chaff, pause and BLAMMO!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Breaking blues that size consistently working in the bay is a sight to behold and more akin to what I have read about fishing in the late 70's and 80's compared to now. I hope they keep up!

The Yamaha is working on about 175 hours now between crabbing and fishing. I didn't get it until late April so it missed the majority of rock season and pre-rock season while my boat is at Flag Harbor. I am thinking by the time the CBBT is over and yellow perch fishing starts up in January and February I should have about 300 hours on her for the year.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
All that blood and vomit... sounds like a REAL mess!! Not sure if it's worth it!! ;-):D

Thanks for the report Francis!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Breaking blues that size consistently working in the bay is a sight to behold and more akin to what I have read about fishing in the late 70's and 80's compared to now.
8lbs would have been a small one back then...

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Hey Francis...where ya been?.......I usually only see ya when I'm over on you side catching "Your fish".......should be down that way friday.........have a Good one and thanks for the report...........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts