Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the wind blowing and the water in the dog's dish frozen this morning it wasn't looking good for fishing. But I had a confirmed fishing report for my favorite species of fish, speckled trout from an area that few know about that would be somewhat protected from the breeze. I picked up the special bait that I needed and even brought a little extra to contend with catfish. Darren arrived at 8:00 and we were hitched up and ready to go. A stop by Hardees for biscuits and a little drive.

We arrived at the ramp with only a single trailer present. It was a boat load of guys pulling away from the dock and they appeared to be planning to catfish. I figured that we would see them later. While I was preparing the boat for launch, Darren was visiting the facilities. I don't know what he was doing in there but he was taking a while doing it so I proceeded to launch the boat. When I kicked the boat off the trailer, a little harder than usual because it is a shallow ramp and I didn't want my truck in the water, the boat slid back hard. My rope that I secure the boat to the trailer with SNAPPED. Here I am, in a secluded location when I am sure that no one is going to be along anytime soon and my boat is drifting away from the dock. It's too cold to swim for it. What do I do?

I stood on the dock and began contemplating my options. The wind picked the boat and began blowing it away and toward a shoreline that I did not know how to reach.

A local guy had apparently been sitting in his pick up truck, watching the whole thing. He walks over and says something like, "I hate when that happens." As the boat continues to drift it begins heading for a dock. Darren walks out with this goofball kind of look on his face and asks, "what'd you do that for?" or some other kind of statement that made about as much sense. I really don't know exactly as I wasn't listening.

Our observer then says, I know how to get over there. I'll ride with you and show you how to get there. Boy, am I glad he did as I would have never found it alone. We get there and the area is secured by a chain link fence with barbed wire at the top and the bottom. I'm too fat and heavy to climb over but as we walked the fence length, I found an area where the fence was loose. I found a board to lay across the barbed wire to hold it down and out of the way and I shimmied (Darren would probably say, "wallowed") underneath. I then walked through the brush until I found the dock which was in much need of repair. Not sure if it would even hold me I began to walk toward my boat which thankfully had blown up against the dock and was trapped a little between and under things. I get on the boat and call Darren to tell him that I am there and he begins to drive back to the ramp where I am to meet him.

When he gets to the ramp, he backs the trailer into the water. This wasn't making sense to me. Now, it is time to go fishing! He waves me to the trailer and has me load. When I get there he informs me that while he was waiting on me he has received a call from work. There are major problems on one of our nation's vessels and he has to go in to work. Here we are with some rather specialized bait that doesn't come cheap and only minutes away from anchoring. It's just not going to be our day. We got back to my house about 11:30. Thankfully, the boat is on the trailer and I didn't have to go swimming.

Now, don't bother asking where these trout are or what the bait is. If I wanted to tell that I would have included it in the post. Maybe after I've had a chance to catch a couple of limits myself, I'll spill the beans but until I verify it with a pull on my string I will keep my secrets to myself and I hope that the speckled trout fishermen out there will understand.

Still, I thought the story was funny enough to share. Oh yeah, you don't want to know what this preacher said when that rope broke. Let's just suffice it to say that it was not the Greek I learned in seminary.:censored:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I hate to say it, but that is a FUNNY STORY....

Sorry you didn't get to fish, but there will be other days...

I am sure Darren was LOL over the whole thing....

It's a shame someone didn't capture it on video...

:helpsmilie: :censored: :oops: :hammer: :innocent: :surrender: :52: :soapbox: :hysterical: :poke1:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think things happen for a reason. You can look back and laugh now but if you had continued some other crazy unthinkables could have happened and made your day even worse. Sorry to hear about your bad(but funny)trip but your home safe and sound and that is something always to be thankful for. Martin

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I don't know how easy it is to curse in Greek...

.....however......the Brits have a wonderful way of expressing themselves in their sublime way. For your "trip" today.......I think BRILLIANT would be most appropriate!....and I'm glad that you didn't freeze your bollocks off!;)

Next time?

·
Registered
270 Posts
That happened to me one time also. I was able to get a running start and jumped from the dock to the boat. I twisted my ankle pretty bad. If I had thought about it I would not have done it. It just happened so quickly that I ran and jumped and there was no thinking involved. I am glad that you guys were able to safely recover the boat and that no one was injured. It seems like there is always someone watching when something like that happens.:yes: GIL

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well I'll be *#*[email protected]*@. You did post the whole story. I am really sorry about having to kill the trip like that. I was definitely anxious to test out that new spot. Been working for about 6 hours on that pump now. I got too work and found thay had been trying for three hours to get it out of the casing. 1 big pipe wrench and 2 minutes later I had that problem fixed. Now I am just waiting for the machinists to cut a couple of pieces and then it's back to work for the rest of the night probably.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thats Funny

Its OK the fish will still be there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
LOL! That is one of the funniest stories I have heard in a longggggggggg time. Sorry ya didn't get to fish but I am glad you were not hurt and you got your boat back.

20 years ago, a friend and I used to do a lot of duck hunting together. One really cold morning. I had truck problems and was a little late leaving home. He had the boat on his trailer and decided to launch alone. Bad decision!

The rope snapped and the boat went in a driving river current. When I arrived, my headlights picked out this "object" in the water. It was my friend that was neck deep in frigid waters. He went home to change. Wasn't long before another hunter came up the river and hooked on to our boat and towed it to shore for us.

Thanks for the story Jim.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep, that's a good one, glad everything turned out alright. So tell me, even though you have requested don't ask/don't tell, how many people have asked anyway???

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You have a great story telling ability - I almost lost a whole mouthful of cofee when I got to the part about Darren asking why'd you do that?

Timing is everything ... Mike came back in from fishing early one morning a couple years back and there was a jonboat sitting about 20 yards off the dock by the ramp with a fella standing there just contemplating what to do. Wasn't a single rope attached anywhere so he had to push it back to the dock.

Glad everybody and the boat are okay ... and thanks for the laugh as I sit here coughing and hacking and watching the stupid snow fall here again. :ibeillin:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great story for a cold, rainy afternoon. Sorry for your inconvinences, but glad everyone was safe. Pretty fortunate that a local was at the ramp. Imagine, there could have been a watchdog alert on the other side of the fence...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
THAT was a FUNNY story Jim!!!:thumbup: I can only imagine the looks on your faces.

That very same thing almost happned to me a few weeks ago at the Jordan bridge ramp. I was solo too.:nono:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Big Jim,
Do you believe in Karma? Looks like a pay ahead for your tease on the location and the special bait. This curse will persist until you come clean. Come on, you can tell just me, and you will be free, free at last, good goshalmighty, free at last.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts