Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Homey,

Nice Pics of your boat and your catch. Where did you go to catch those nice Mahi Mahi Tuna and Wahoo? My boat is a 23 foot Center Console and I would like to take her out to catch some of the fish in your pics. What time of year and how far out did you go? I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Homey,

Nice Pics of your boat and your catch. Where did you go to catch those nice Mahi Mahi Tuna and Wahoo? My boat is a 23 foot Center Console and I would like to take her out to catch some of the fish in your pics. What time of year and how far out did you go? I appreciate your feedback.
rth3030,

Thank you for the compliments! The boat is a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage, with cuddy and whalerdrive. As you can see the motors are old but still run great...Those Dolphin-Mahi were caught off Chincoteague approx 40 miles offshore. That day we caught 8 all were good size (gaffers) with several large bulls. The Wahoo were caught off Ocean City, 40-50 miles offshore, 50 fathom line. I typically start offshore fishing after the trophy Striper season on the bay, end of May. My boat is kept on the trailer, and I will trailer down to Wachapreague, Chincoteague or Ocean City. I leave Annapolis at 3am and in the water around 6am. I like having the option of the different ports depending on fishing reports and water temps. Ex: If the fish are at the Norfolk canyon, Wachapreague is a better launch point then OC.

In my opinion, a 23 foot center console is very capable of reaching the same fishing grounds as long as the boat has the range/fuel capacity. I've caught 80-90 lb. Bluefin Tuna within 35 miles offshore....Before going out, I constantly check the offshore weather forecast and any posted fishing reports. Obviously, you'll want safety gear, back-up GPS, extra flares, PFD's, tools, spare fuel filters, etc. etc. You don't need the most expensive fishing gear to catch fish. Most of my rods and reels are of the economy type...The guys that fish with me all split the fuel, oil, bait, and ice costs. I'm on a budget, I'm no expert but have learned a few things.

-Homey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts