Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something strange going on because I caught more catfish tonight on same bait at same place. Havent done well this summer. Maybe water is cleaner and fresher since it rained last week. Was incoming high tide. right before dark. Had 3 rods out and all were bending . Fresh shrimp worked great. More catfish nuggets on the way !!
Food Seafood Fish Animal product Cuisine

·
Registered
742 Posts
Something strange going on because I caught more catfish tonight on same bait at same place. Havent done well this summer. Maybe water is cleaner and fresher since it rained last week. Was incoming high tide. right before dark. Had 3 rods out and all were bending . Fresh shrimp worked great. More catfish nuggets on the way !!
View attachment 282683
That looks like a good day to me! (y) (y) A lot of folks down here who fish Santee Cooper claim that fresh shrimp is their best bait for catfish.

When I still lived in MD and my fishing buddy was still alive, he & I would fish the upper Choptank or Tuckahoe River for catfish, and he would fix baits using chunks of veal liver about 3/4" square, 3/8" thick. He would soak it in garlic powder for about 3 days, in a zip lock bag, all the while refrigerated so it would stay fresh. We could sometimes fill a cooler with them using that bait. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like a good day to me! (y) (y) A lot of folks down here who fish Santee Cooper claim that fresh shrimp is their best bait for catfish.

When I still lived in MD and my fishing buddy was still alive, he & I would fish the upper Choptank or Tuckahoe River for catfish, and he would fix baits using chunks of veal liver about 3/4" square, 3/8" thick. He would soak it in garlic powder for about 3 days, in a zip lock bag, all the while refrigerated so it would stay fresh. We could sometimes fill a cooler with them using that bait. :)
Thanks and tell me how you would prepare the catfish and cook them. I also bleed all my fish especially the catfish. Filets come out pearly white. Catfish is one of my favorites! Catfish nuggets are one of our favorites :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks and tell me how you would prepare the catfish and cook them. I also bleed all my fish especially the catfish. Filets come out pearly white. Catfish is one of my favorites! Catfish nuggets are one of our favorites :)
My buddy fileted his, and I preferred them whole, but we both would bleed them. For cooking, generally either fried or baked. A bit of salt & pepper and pieces of bacon. Sometimes some lemon juice. My wife was never big on eating catfish, so it was me & the kids, and I just kept it simple. They didn't last long at my house with 4 kids.

We fished for them a lot in the winter months, when the weather cooperated. That was most often a half day of fishing, even though we would get out early and spend most of the day. They didn't seem to start biting until mid day once the Sun got up & started to warm things a little. There was a few times we had to bust skim ice at the ramp to launch the boat.

I remember the first time we went looking for catfish in the winter. It was mid February, and we fished the Tuckahoe, and fished all morning without a bite. So, we decided to eat something and tied the boat to a old downed tree. Pete & I both used to bring along things to eat, like Vienna sausages, and sardines, and crackers, things that we didn't have to worry about them spoiling. We would have sandwiches & drinks along too.

That first trip, while we were eating, we set out the lines and started getting some bites. We sat there in that one spot and caught several decent size catfish. After that we wouldn't usually get out until a little later in the morning, and it always seemed there would be no action until around noon. In the winter, we had the whole river to ourselves, hardly ever saw anyone else, except some duck hunters a few times.

We would also go & fish some of the state ponds on the eastern shore, but we were looking for panfish, or bass or Pickerel when we did that.

Good memories! (y)(y)

·
Registered
742 Posts
BTW, I catch some here in the lake sometimes, but have not really tried to catch the bigger cats. They get huge here, and those are the ones that most folks want to catch. I prefer the smaller ones for eating, under around 10 lbs. I fish from my one neighbors pier and use the same baits, and have caught them on nightcrawlers, chicken gut trimmed off of gizzards that we get at the grocery store, and cut up bits of Bluegills. I usually set up with two rods and slip floats, with just enough weight to get the hook to the bottom. There's no current, and the waters only around 5' deep. I can sit & relax and just watch for the floats to move. I also use circle hooks, lighter wire types, so no real concern about a lot of deep swallowed hooks. We used bottom rigs in MD, with an ounce or less of weight, because of the current.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mikerh,

Channel cats really like chicken liver. Here's a picture of my son and his buddy's recent upper bay fishing trip. They tried a lot of different baits but liver out preformed everything else. That has always been my go to as well.

View attachment 282686
Thats alot of fish and great to catch!! I hook a channel and white at the same time!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My buddy fileted his, and I preferred them whole, but we both would bleed them. For cooking, generally either fried or baked. A bit of salt & pepper and pieces of bacon. Sometimes some lemon juice. My wife was never big on eating catfish, so it was me & the kids, and I just kept it simple. They didn't last long at my house with 4 kids.

We fished for them a lot in the winter months, when the weather cooperated. That was most often a half day of fishing, even though we would get out early and spend most of the day. They didn't seem to start biting until mid day once the Sun got up & started to warm things a little. There was a few times we had to bust skim ice at the ramp to launch the boat.

I remember the first time we went looking for catfish in the winter. It was mid February, and we fished the Tuckahoe, and fished all morning without a bite. So, we decided to eat something and tied the boat to a old downed tree. Pete & I both used to bring along things to eat, like Vienna sausages, and sardines, and crackers, things that we didn't have to worry about them spoiling. We would have sandwiches & drinks along too.

That first trip, while we were eating, we set out the lines and started getting some bites. We sat there in that one spot and caught several decent size catfish. After that we wouldn't usually get out until a little later in the morning, and it always seemed there would be no action until around noon. In the winter, we had the whole river to ourselves, hardly ever saw anyone else, except some duck hunters a few times.

We would also go & fish some of the state ponds on the eastern shore, but we were looking for panfish, or bass or Pickerel when we did that.

Good memories! (y)(y)
Wow they sure are great memories! I try to get out 2 a week. Thanks for sharing all that , puts a smile on my face!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Whole catfish? sure hope I read that wrong, cause otherwise, yuk!
Yep, just skin them, remove the insides, tail & fins. Not much else to deal with other than the heads and they don't have a lot of bones to worry about.

My father never fileted anything, and Mom would sometime stuff various fish with crab meat and bake them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mikerh,

Channel cats really like chicken liver. Here's a picture of my son and his buddy's recent upper bay fishing trip. They tried a lot of different baits but liver out preformed everything else. That has always been my go to as well.

View attachment 282686
caught many a catfish with chicken livers gunpowder river Joppatown

1 - 20 of 22 Posts