Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering hauling our 2 kayaks on the roof rack of our small SUV. I looked at various kayak carriers for the roof at some local shops but in most cases they want a pretty penny for what ever they have in stock. Is there a discounter for this type of item?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Malone SeaWing $90, Autoloader $90 or Stax Carrier $60.

Sportrack Inuk Kayak Carrier $70

I have the Thule Hull a Port. Saved up for 2 of them and had to purchase longer screws for factory rack.

I also have to purchase the tire stepper because I am too short to boost the yak up that high. Tons of scratches on one side of the SUV...very bad!

'Andrea

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with a full Yakima system. Q towers, bars, mako saddles and hulley rollers. Total price @ $300/350.
The way I look at it, I'm strapping over $1200 on the roof of my truck at 65mph. I DO NOT want to have it fly off the roof of the truck because I tried to save a few bucks on a rack. You get what you pay for.
If you are trying to keep costs down a bit, watch e-bay. You can usually pick things up about 15/20% off of list. (and no taxes :)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]nsfratu originally wrote:
I went with a full Yakima system. Q towers, bars, mako saddles and hulley rollers. Total price @ $300/350.
The way I look at it, I'm strapping over $1200 on the roof of my truck at 65mph. I DO NOT want to have it fly off the roof of the truck because I tried to save a few bucks on a rack. You get what you pay for.
If you are trying to keep costs down a bit, watch e-bay. You can usually pick things up about 15/20% off of list. (and no taxes :)

[/Q]
The message here is that you get what you pay for and I agree. For discount try http://wwwkayakfishingstuff.com or
http://www.paddleva.com (you'll need to call them most likely).

They both ship all over the US and other places.[excited]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some of the best pricing I've found on new equipment is on either Moosejaw.com or Bike-Pro.com. Type "yakima" into the search field.
If I remember correctly, both offer free shipping over $99

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Rav4 and to solve the 2 kayak problem, I got a set of the malone J shape racks $90 and foam pieces. I put 1 kayak in the Malones mounted all the way on one side of the Rav and that leaves enough room for the other kayak to sit on the foam cusion directly on the roof racks.
The only thing is that you get what you pay for...I would not use the Malone product without tiying a bow line to the kayak. I am not sure I would trust it on long highway trips.

works for me $100 solution. cheepest option I could find to get me by until I get a truck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts