Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice for an angler getting into fishing todal creeks around Waccamaaw Bay and DeBordieu Creek? I've fished them on a few occassions with out much luck. I fly fish mostly but certainly am willing and have unsccessfully tried a spinning road and plug. Any advice, techniques, tips would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get things to click when I'm on the water and am struggling to find the fish. Help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure where you're talking about... are you up in Georgetown near Winyah Bay?

Either way, here's my best advice on fishing the creeks (you'll find better I'm sure):
Come in just after the high tide and cruise up a main creek with plenty of feeders. As the tide begins to fall, anchor up at the mouth and fish the column. My go to's are 3" gulp shrimp on a weighted offset for the bottom, suspending or slow-sinking mirrolure in the middle and a popping cork for the top. Basically, I'll work the shrimp until I see mullet working--then move to the cork. Still nothing, then the mirrolure. As the tide empties, motor to the next mouth. Also, I always bring a pair of wading boots to climb up into the flats if I can't reach them--just watch for the super soft mud.

If you're catching them on flies, continue with that! Not sure how much tidal fly fishing you do, but the next "tailing tide for the ICW" will be around June 23'rd. If you've never done it, grab a guide. You won't regret it. Did it for the first time last year--no fish the first time, but I'm hooked now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Im just north of Georgetown. I'll take your advice next time im out and see how it pans out. Tight lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts