Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as I thought would be the case we were the only crabbers on the river today.

The wind made for a tough day running the line but the crabs didn't seem to mind at all. The first spot we went to had a ton of crabs. Unfortunately most were big mature females. There were a lot of immatures too. We did manage 1/2 bushel before the wind drove us away.

We moved up the river and laid the line in an area where the wind was a tad better. This spot was the opposite of the first spot. Very few females and lots of legal jimmies. I'm no expert at running a trot line as this was only the fourth time I have done it with my boat. So this may not be impressive to some but we set a record of 15 keepers on one run. We caught about 24 on that run. We caught 12 on another run and a few runs produced about 8 per run. We finished the bushel before the wind again become unbearable.
This area is now my go to spot. And the bombs is it is only a few minutes from my ramp.

I don't want to change the rules but I no longer care to hear this bull**** that there aren't enough female crabs. I know we caught at least two bushels of them today. This rive is filthy with them. We caught a lot of them on my previous three trips.

Of course my crabbing partner today was none other the Crabbing Jack, my 12 yr. old grand son. He baited the line, laid the line, dipped the crabs, culled them, pulled the Line in and the unbaited the line when we returned. He's quite the fanatic. The little fart fooled me and added another 400 ft to our 600 ft.

One last note. The keepers were mostly around 6 inches. We caught no 7 inch plus crabs. Discounting the females
Our keeper ratio on males was pretty good today.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
Just as I thought would be the case we were the only crabbers on the river today.

The wind made for a tough day running the line but the crabs didn't seem to mind at all. The first spot we went to had a ton of crabs. Unfortunately most were big mature females. There were a lot of immatures too. We did manage 1/2 bushel before the wind drove us away.

We moved up the river and laid the line in an area where the wind was a tad better. This spot was the opposite of the first spot. Very few females and lots of legal jimmies. I'm no expert at running a trot line as this was only the fourth time I have done it with my boat. So this may not be impressive to some but we set a record of 15 keepers on one run. We caught about 24 on that run. We caught 12 on another run and a few runs produced about 8 per run. We finished the bushel before the wind again become unbearable.
This area is now my go to spot. And the bombs is it is only a few minutes from my ramp.

I don't want to change the rules but I no longer care to hear this bull**** that there aren't enough female crabs. I know we caught at least two bushels of them today. This rive is filthy with them. We caught a lot of them on my previous three trips.

Of course my crabbing partner today was none other the Crabbing Jack, my 12 yr. old grand son. He baited the line, laid the line, dipped the crabs, culled them, pulled the Line in and the unbaited the line when we returned. He's quite the fanatic. The little fart fooled me and added another 400 ft to our 600 ft.

One last note. The keepers were mostly around 6 inches. We caught no 7 inch plus crabs. Discounting the females
Al, This is the time the big females start moving in.. Happens every year. Glad you had a productive day with your Grandson.......... Gary

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

The time to catch females is coming up. Those females could be caught and sold for cheap. No one pays a lot for females. Someone else mentioned that sooks show up this time of the year. I'm going out tomorrow, hoping for a 1/2 bushel to make a big pot of crab soup.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Jimmys in the mud...Sooks in the sand. I was told that about 40 years ago. It worked. Try to find a muddy bottom, maybe a little deeper, 8ft. or so, BTW Al, there's a lot of 10-12 in. specs in Md. waters right now. Maybe next year things will be good?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jimmys in the mud...Sooks in the sand. I was told that about 40 years ago. It worked. Try to find a muddy bottom, maybe a little deeper, 8ft. or so, BTW Al, there's a lot of 10-12 in. specs in Md. waters right now. Maybe next year things will be good?
I hear you. We have to get together next year and make the trip to the Honga or the Crisfield area. I just had my fourth eye surgery this year and my fishing has been curtailed somewhat.

I sold my Whaler. Got my asking price with no dickering. Sad to see it go after 42 years but I knew I would no on gear be using it. Probably the best investment I ever made.

Al

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
OK Al , Hopefully the specs come back and are over 14in. next year. Good luck on the crabbing this week. There's a Hurricane that's supposed to land between NC. & Baltimore this weekend, This could end the season?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Al , Hopefully the specs come back and are over 14in. next year. Good luck on the crabbing this week. There's a Hurricane that's supposed to land between NC. & Baltimore this weekend, This could end the season?
Just canceled the trot line trip for this week end. Going to be to messy for this old sea dog. Crabbing Jack is sulking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts