Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surfing the internet to try & find something about the South River.I am interested in fishing the head waters for Pickerel in my Kayak.I've never fished it.This is what I found instead of an article on some nice headwater fishing on a pretty river http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=2753

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
Great timing. I just posted on what could be the same problem in the Severn.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Last winter I fished the headwaters of the South, both the tidal area just downstream from Rt. 50 and the free-slowing part upstream from the Rt 450 crossing.

The tidal area is loaded with some kind of fish -- carp I think. I didn't catch any of them, but every few seconds I would see a swirl or splash in 2' - 3' of water as I paddled through. I cast to a lot of shore line last Feb and caught nothing (that was before my visit to the Magothy Pickerel College, however). In the upstream section, I caught my first ever yellow perch.

Both areas look like they could hold fish, but it is not easy to get into either area by regular boat or by canoe/kayak because of the lack of close launching spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts