Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall, I live on church creek on the south river..(just above the rt2 bridge.) anyone ever fished for perch or pickerel? I have a little john boat and was going to try it. any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The river has a good supply of pickerel now. The perch are on spawning grounds at this time of year. You should be able to catch pickerel in Church Creek, Gingerville Creek, Beards Creek, Almshouse Creek, Glebe Creek, And Warehouse Creek all winter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have not yet found a tidal creek that does not hold white perch in the summer. Perch spawn- not an expert on that.....

Summer shallow perching- cast small spinnerbaits around downed trees, docks, ditch mouths, seawalls, and other various structures. Also, easily done from shore.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
hey yall, I live on church creek on the south river..(just above the rt2 bridge.) anyone ever fished for perch or pickerel? I have a little john boat and was going to try it. any thoughts?
There is great fishing in the South River; you may want to look at some of the posts on the SRRKC message board for lures and techniques used on the Severn which would also work well on the South R:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/42-SRRKC-Fishing-Club

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/476890-12-30-My-last-pickerel-of-2015

I don't want to insult you, please take this as a friendly response to your question--use care and be safe while operating the john boat, pick your days carefully and consider wearing a pfd especially in cold water and high wind conditions. There was a tragic event in the Severn River recently involving a john boat operating in high wind conditions.

Good luck and please post a fishing report!

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2016/0...-recover-bodies-of-severn-river-duck-hunters/

·
Registered
546 Posts
eh....I'm not so sure this is true. I spent a decent amount of time fishing for perch last year and it was very spotty. I did find a couple of places that seemed more reliable than others. There are always a few around starting in the middle of june, but if your looking for rapid fire perch, you need to hunt around a bit.

I caught a few pickerel this weekend fishing off a local pier, I fished for maybe 1-1.5 hrs total. They are there.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I assumed you were talking this time of the year. I have lived on the South River for over 40 yrs. I'll be more then happy to take you on my boat when things start happening on the river. However I only fish during the week. No weekends. I'll show you the spots I've found over the years that can be reliable.

Last year the perch bite was not to good. This was not the norm. Hopefully this year will improve.

·
Registered
424 Posts
eh....I'm not so sure this is true. I spent a decent amount of time fishing for perch last year and it was very spotty. I did find a couple of places that seemed more reliable than others. There are always a few around starting in the middle of june, but if your looking for rapid fire perch, you need to hunt around a bit.

I caught a few pickerel this weekend fishing off a local pier, I fished for maybe 1-1.5 hrs total. They are there.
I do agree some days can be slow. However, I have not yet skunked on perch between the 2nd week of June through whenever the river stripers show up (Sep 3, 2015 for me). This is for the Severn. Perch do travel with the tides/currents. I do find deeper structure perch to be more consistent (10ft+). Live bait is more effective to catch but lures will help with size control.

J. A. Veil is the Severn pickerel expert. All I can tell you with pickerel is that they are far easier to find than to land! If I get 4 pickerel follows, I might get 2 bumps, 1 hook-up, and none landed.

I do find my striper spots and techniques do not well anywhere as well from a boat- probably due to spooking. I have fished from a friend's boat the same places, same set-ups, and under the same conditions. You will have a great shot of catching keeper size stripers from your small boat in the fall!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I assumed you were talking this time of the year. I have lived on the South River for over 40 yrs. I'll be more then happy to take you on my boat when things start happening on the river. However I only fish during the week. No weekends. I'll show you the spots I've found over the years that can be reliable.

Last year the perch bite was not to good. This was not the norm. Hopefully this year will improve.
That's a relief!!! I never had to work for perch before. I had fished the South a number of times in the past, but I recently moved into a neighborhood with water access. I was surprised this past summer that more perch were not around.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
J. A. Veil is the Severn pickerel expert. All I can tell you with pickerel is that they are far easier to find than to land! If I get 4 pickerel follows, I might get 2 bumps, 1 hook-up, and none landed.
l!
I fished three times during the past two weeks for pickerel in Seven tributaries. On two of the trips I caught absolutely nothing. On the third trip I caught 23 pickerel in two hours. Just because you have a poor outing one day does not mean the fish are not there. They are getting ready for spawning now and may have more irregular feeding patterns. Also with cold overnight air temps, check both the shallow edges (the normal habitat for Severn pickerel) and the intermediate depths (4-6 ft). Yesterday I cast live minnows to fishy looking shorelines and mid-depths that held pickerel earlier in the winter. For 2.5 hours I had one tentative bite, one follow, and no caught fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts