Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a spcing limit on Crab pots? I mean where I live is unbeleivable. I live near Cabin Point and the crab traps actually are parallel with the jetty and are 6-8 foot apart which is very close. Since they can't crab the creek the have decided to "crab pot dam" it from allowing crabs to enter it. I mean they have the whole river and it dam near impedes your driving. Got to something I can do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel your pain! Crabbers are either the dumbest ******s God ever made, or just plain jerks. Their gear is blatantly a "hazard to navigation," and you will find them in channels everywhere. Many don't even know or care what the buoys mean, it's all just water to them. They actually plan to lose a certain number of pots every year, with no regard to the damage they are doing to other boats! A little law enforcement intervention is definitely in order, we probably won't get it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Crab pots, gill nets, etc. in federally marked navigation channels are illegal.

Call 800-541-4646

Therer are times when I would feel bad about a fellow getting a ticket. For instance it is clear that he has a line of pots on the edge of the channel and one has drifted (or more likely was unintentionally moved but a recreational boater) into the channel.

Here is the code section regarding this stuff.

§ 28.2-309. Distance nets may extend across body of water or channel; prohibition; regulations; penalty.

A. It is unlawful to set or fish any net or nets across any river, bay, estuary, creek, or inlet which are longer than one-fourth the width of the body of water from mean low water to mean low water at the point where the net or nets are set or fished.

B. It is unlawful to set or fish any net, other than a menhaden net, in any portion of a marked channel of a river, bay, estuary, creek, or inlet which has navigation aids installed or approved by any agency of government. However, the prohibitions and restrictions on setting nets contained in this subsection shall not apply to any net set on the eastern or ocean side of the Counties of Accomack and Northampton. The Commission shall have the authority to promulgate regulations governing the setting of any net on the eastern or ocean side of the Counties of Accomack and Northampton.

C. It shall be unlawful to set or fish any net which is a hazard to navigation.

And for crab and eel pots.

§ 28.2-710. Unlawful to place crab, eel, or fish pots in certain channels; penalty.

It is unlawful to place or maintain any crab, eel, or fish pot in a navigable channel which has navigation aids installed or approved by any agency of the United States government or in any portion of a government marked channel of a river, bay, estuary, creek or inlet. The owner or user of any crab, eel, or fish pot who has located such pot in accordance with this section shall be relieved of civil liability for any damages resulting from the location of such pot.

Oh and you can not set conch pots or use gill nets within 250 yards of the CBBT except the southern most mile. Also did you know all of Rudee Inlet is considered a channel.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man, you are right on about the large numbers of crab pots this year - more than I've ever seen. I know the crabbers have to make a living, and I hope for their sake they're catching a lot, but it breaks my heart to see many formerly productive flounder fishing areas now nearly impossible to drift fish due to the influx of large numbers of crab pots. Maybe I could try anchoring, but never had much luck flounder fishing that way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
my favorite is when the floats are painted black (is there a legitimate reason they are not a bright color). its like they dont want you to see them. just doesn't make sense

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel sorry for the guys that are on the Nomini. I don't boat out of there but drive over the bridge and the crabpot layout is amazing. Not one part of the Nomini is free from crabpot. It would be real challenging to navigate through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts