Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any talk about increasing the spadefish limits? I remember hearing rumblings they had discussed increase the limits from 4 per person. Spades are very migratory and most states within their reaches have fairly liberal limits (up to 20 per person). I don't advocate for something that high but 6-8 would be nice to see. I know some complain about not seeing a lot of the 8-10lb class fish out at the CLT but I don't see the lack of supersized fish fish as being a reason to keep the limits so low.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
So far it has not come up. The reason that we have such a low limit is to keep the quality of the fishery up for as long as possible each season.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. Has VIMS or any other group done any sampling or quantitative research on spadefish in VA? I've seen that they have supported some spadefish aquaculture research.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Not just this post but a lot of posts have the same comments, "there should be a different size limit or quality limit".

No law says you have to keep as many fish that is allowed or keep the smallest/biggest allowable size.

Police yourself, if you think the allowable size is to small or to big, then throw them back, keep the size limit between the allowable size you think is right and once you got the quality you want even though it is less than allowed, then catch and release the rest.

If more people did this, then at least some fish could grow up to spawn that otherwise would be on someones dinner plate. just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts