Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was a bit early but went trolling near the parking lot they call York spit today. I was thinking with all the chum in water blues could be think.. Caught 2 spanish on way out and tossed them back
each time thinking-- it will be only Spanish. On way back just below york spit light I hung 2 more. One really nice one got off when I tried to lift into boat and the other broke the hook at side of boat (it happens on clarks) . Just inside New Point light I hung 2 and landed both..
Boss is cooking them as I type this! :thumbup:

TONS of ell grass down this way. Did hear another guy catching spanish just prior to my first one-- Mid bay just below Deltaville.
Only 2 small blues landed - and one big fish I never saw

·
Registered
702 Posts
Great news Charlie!! I know you will be getting them dialed in once you learn the new territory. Keep us posted as usual down there!!

Pepsi

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought it was a bit early but went trolling near the parking lot they call York spit today. I was thinking with all the chum in water blues could be think.. Caught 2 spanish on way out and tossed them back
each time thinking-- it will be only Spanish. On way back just below york spit light I hung 2 more. One really nice one got off when I tried to lift into boat and the other broke the hook at side of boat (it happens on clarks) . Just inside New Point light I hung 2 and landed both..
Boss is cooking them as I type this! :thumbup:

TONS of ell grass down this way. Did hear another guy catching spanish just prior to my first one-- Mid bay just below Deltaville.
Only 2 small blues landed - and one big fish I never saw
those clarke spoons are junk compared to what they used to be. you have to replace them every year now of the hooks just fall off.
nice job , i look forward to them tasty critters

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with you on the Clark spoons, the hooks are junk. Not sure what they have done to them but they last no time. Damn shame because they charge an arm and a leg for those things!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Agree on clark spoon hooks! I contacted the company and they provided a bunch of new hooks for free so you can at least replace the broken ones easily.

More info in this thread:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/84702-Clark-Spoons-Broken-Hooks

From: Sea Striker To: 'Bill McCawley' Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:47 AM Subject: RE: Defective Spoons

We are aware of a problem with the hooks in a couple of the models, mostly #0 and #1 Clarkspoons. We use Eagle Claw hooks and they are trying to figure out why they are breaking. The hooks ARE stainless steel and made in the USA. Though we have replaced the hooks in the spoons for our distributors and checked our stock, there is no way to determine what stores have the specific spoons effected. This is because we use a network of distributors and do not know the product rotation habits of the stores. I can assure you that nothing has changed at Clarkspoon as far as the type of hook we use or the supplier. Eagle Claw has assured us that they have resolved this issue but only time will tell. We are currently looking at using a solid steel hook (stronger) with a 'salt-guard' finish instead of a stainless steel hook. The upside would be a stronger hook but less salt resistant. In the meantime, we will send replacement hooks to anyone that contacts us.
Phillip Henry
[email protected]
www.seastriker.com
252.247.4113, ext 234
252.247.2219 fax

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't know where he got them but, when I bought Ricochet, I bought most of the tackle which, is all separated in Plano system boxes by fish or lure type. The "Spanish" box had a couple dozen Clarks, some drones, tape, crippled herrings, and about a dozen extra hooks for the Clark spoons... I am sure if you check around, one of the better hook manufacturers make these and they would be much cheaper than the whole spoons to replace.

R

·
Registered
913 Posts
Agree on clark spoon hooks! I contacted the company and they provided a bunch of new hooks for free so you can at least replace the broken ones easily.

More info in this thread:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/84702-Clark-Spoons-Broken-Hooks

From: Sea Striker To: 'Bill McCawley' Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:47 AM Subject: RE: Defective Spoons

We are aware of a problem with the hooks in a couple of the models, mostly #0 and #1 Clarkspoons. We use Eagle Claw hooks and they are trying to figure out why they are breaking. The hooks ARE stainless steel and made in the USA. Though we have replaced the hooks in the spoons for our distributors and checked our stock, there is no way to determine what stores have the specific spoons effected. This is because we use a network of distributors and do not know the product rotation habits of the stores. I can assure you that nothing has changed at Clarkspoon as far as the type of hook we use or the supplier. Eagle Claw has assured us that they have resolved this issue but only time will tell. We are currently looking at using a solid steel hook (stronger) with a 'salt-guard' finish instead of a stainless steel hook. The upside would be a stronger hook but less salt resistant. In the meantime, we will send replacement hooks to anyone that contacts us.
Phillip Henry
[email protected]
www.seastriker.com
252.247.4113, ext 234
252.247.2219 fax
Good info I will contact them today. I even rinse them off and they just fall off, they used to be great.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Replacing hooks in that little 3pk is expensive !.. I keep 2 boxes of rigged spoons on the boat (32 rigs)
Thanks for the info,I will email also and see if I can buy greater number of hooks, 20-30 at a time works!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never fished for them and would like to try. Any tips for someone wanting to get started?
I like basically 2 different rod set-ups. (but use others)
7' MH spinning outfit for in-line weights. (a faster tip helps to see strike)
20-50 stand up rods for #1 planers. (30-50 for #2 planers) (these can be same rods you would use for rock)
My leaders are 20-25# fluorocarbon - 18' with swivel in middle.
Important to tie spoon directly to leader (no snap) and IMHO it is best to use exact pairs of rods .
(I use up to 4 pairs- each pair set out at different distances- but I recommend starters use only 3-4 rods). With Each pair set out the same,,, lines will track each other on turns- this prevents many of the tangles other get. ( but tangle will happen)
I tell new people on boat, watch the rod, the ones with planers are bent down- they will stand up when a fish hits.
the rods with in-line weights will bend over.
This should help start you out.
http://seastriker.com/styled-8/files/fishing-clarkspoons-0026-how-to-fish-planers.pdf

I am sure I left out alot, but there are some basic's.

Edit: Its very important to use black swivels and snaps or spanish/blues will hit them causing cut offs!
I buy black planers to!
I troll at @ 7-7.5mph, and don't listen to those that say "troll faster to keep blues away", its a old wife's tale - those blues can run 9mph also- it may lessen the amount of blues, but it may also lessen the numbers of spanish also!
Speed as with everything else, can be played with to find what works for that day.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I troll at @ 7-7.5mph, and don't listen to those that say "troll faster to keep blues away", its a old wife's tale - those blues can run 9mph also- it may lessen the amount of blues, but it may also lessen the numbers of spanish also!
Speed as with everything else, can be played with to find what works for that day.
Excellent point. - You really will not out run the bluefish at any reasonable trolling speed. Occasionally, if you have the depth, a #3 planer has been my best line of the day. But starting out, you can't go wrong with #1 and #2 in line planers.

Same here - fluoro leaders (12-20 ft.) with a swivel in the middle and lures tied directly to the terminal end. I mostly use 4 lines but may add more if the conditions are calm. I often use 6 mph as a starting point. 7 mph allows you to cover more water in the same time period and can increase your odds.

Last year I tried to use a little larger lures (larger than the normal O or #1 Clarks/Drones) in hopes of getting a large red drum. The bluefish and mackerel still hit the larger lures without much difference.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, every year @ this time we have a "primer" on spanish.. There a many very good spanish people here on the northern neck forum that have shared info.
I am sure a search would pop these up..
Some of these guys--- May be as good as I . :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like basically 2 different rod set-ups. (but use others)
7' MH spinning outfit for in-line weights. (a faster tip helps to see strike)
20-50 stand up rods for #1 planers. (30-50 for #2 planers) (these can be same rods you would use for rock)
My leaders are 20-25# fluorocarbon - 18' with swivel in middle.
Important to tie spoon directly to leader (no snap) and IMHO it is best to use exact pairs of rods .
(I use up to 4 pairs- each pair set out at different distances- but I recommend starters use only 3-4 rods). With Each pair set out the same,,, lines will track each other on turns- this prevents many of the tangles other get. ( but tangle will happen)
I tell new people on boat, watch the rod, the ones with planers are bent down- they will stand up when a fish hits.
the rods with in-line weights will bend over.
This should help start you out.
http://seastriker.com/styled-8/files/fishing-clarkspoons-0026-how-to-fish-planers.pdf

I am sure I left out alot, but there are some basic's.

Edit: Its very important to use black swivels and snaps or spanish/blues will hit them causing cut offs!
I buy black planers to!
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try. I run out of Yorktown so i'll try York Spit first. I'm normally on the Virginia Angler forum but I also like read what everyone is posting on the Northern Neck. Sounds like good fishing up there with good variety. Good luck when you go again!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I caught 2 in the channel just below york spit light. looked like 30 boats fishing for cobia. (parking lot)
I moved down here (Bavon Va) and am fishing out of Davis creek marina. Generally fish 3-4 days a week and mostly on weekdays. We will have to stay in touch.. Is boat name same?
The guys on this forum seem to be much more helpful . We often get off topic sharing info but it helps everyone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HeyCharlie,
Yes, Fintastic! is the name of my boat. Work has been crazy busy and will be for the rest of the year at least so i'm primarily a weekend angler (when I can) with the rest of the crowd.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hook broke yesterday on brand new Clark and as usual it was biggest fish of day!
Has anyone gotten a reply for them? I have heard NADA!! I spend a lot on sea-striker every yr.
Amamzon, sends me emails at least every week showing sea-striker stuff.

BTW, I caught 3 spanish at wolf trap light and saw someone spade fishing.

Spanish did not like huge hovercraft doing doughnuts on top of them, and I did not land any after that.
New 25 proline did well, it was a little wetter than my 22 pro-sport, but did ride better ( heavier boat should)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts