Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I was out there early Sunday on a fast moving tide, and can only conclude that report is utter BS.
Chris,

Thanks for the on-the-water perspective!!

There have been reports of good perch fishing (and a rat red) in the lower Pax--is that consistent with what you are seeing?

I am trying to drag my 17-yr-old son to the Pax this weekend with a couple of his buddies to crab (school starts soon) and if it goes well we may do some perch jerrkin in the creeks. I have been fishing/crabbing the Severn a bit this summer but I have not yet been on the Pax (in God's country)....

·
Registered
884 Posts
X2 Chris. Hearing a few scattered reports of phantom macs and blues. I'm waving the BS flag also. Covered a lot of water this past week and found some blues on the eastern edge one day. Nothing like what it should be. The fish from these "hot" reports disappear the next day and are nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Fished the mouth of the Potomac last Friday afternoon. Caught a few Macs with only one keeper. Strange to catch several only around 10".

·
Registered
388 Posts
X3 Chris. I fished the area near the mouth of Pax and out in the bay to boy 76 too. Never saw anything like he reports. Sounds like he's trying to sell bait! Total BS. The last few bottom trips I caught some Spots at Hawks nest but zero Croaker.
Has he ever written a report that is factual?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fishing has been spotty at best this summer in the Lower Potomac and Mid Bay. If I was to rate it on a 1-10 comparing it to the last fifty years I would give it a 2 at best. Fish populations are nearing the basement level on all but the white perch in my opinion. Rock, Blues, Spanish, Flounder, Trout, even keeper size croaker are harder to find. Early crabbing season was a plus but probably more of a salinity thing due to the rain in June that seemed to keep the crabs in a holding pattern delaying their normal upriver migration. You have to look at the source of your intel. The Tackle Box is going to spin a positive on the fishery because that's how they butter their bread. Overall a very poor season at best in my opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fishing has been spotty at best this summer in the Lower Potomac and Mid Bay. If I was to rate it on a 1-10 comparing it to the last fifty years I would give it a 2 at best. Fish populations are nearing the basement level on all but the white perch in my opinion. Rock, Blues, Spanish, Flounder, Trout, even keeper size croaker are harder to find. Early crabbing season was a plus but probably more of a salinity thing due to the rain in June that seemed to keep the crabs in a holding pattern delaying their normal upriver migration. You have to look at the source of your intel. The Tackle Box is going to spin a positive on the fishery because that's how they butter their bread. Overall a very poor season at best in my opinion.
Couldn't agree anymore. I had a killer spring, but this summer has completely kicked my butt on the whole. Sure, I've had a few good days, but this is one of the worst summers I can remember for middle bay action. I've waved the white flag until things cool down a little bit. I have been having good luck fishing shore structures early and late.

Here's hoping for a more plentiful fall.

Tony

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have heard a lot of reliable reports from point no point to Deale that trollers are scoring 20-30 macks a day with some nice blues and rock in the mix. No offense to anyone, but I've fished the bay since 1995 and even then can remember having some rough days. Fishing the bay requires a lot of time, work, and searching. I agree that it has been slow on the whole and the Bay is heading in a perilous direction. At the same time, fish are out there and can be caught if you know where to look. Most fishermen down in southern md. are pretty secret about their hotspots and I guarantee those that are catching (at least my buddies) are not posting their reports on Tidalfish or anywhere else for that matter. Certainly hear the frustration, but cancelling charters and such like I've heard due to poor fishing is insane. Get out there and ya just might find em'!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Couldn't agree anymore. I had a killer spring, but this summer has completely kicked my butt on the whole. Sure, I've had a few good days, but this is one of the worst summers I can remember for middle bay action. I've waved the white flag until things cool down a little bit. I have been having good luck fishing shore structures early and late.

Here's hoping for a more plentiful fall.

Tony
X2

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have heard a lot of reliable reports from point no point to Deale that trollers are scoring 20-30 macks a day with some nice blues and rock in the mix. No offense to anyone, but I've fished the bay since 1995 and even then can remember having some rough days. Fishing the bay requires a lot of time, work, and searching. I agree that it has been slow on the whole and the Bay is heading in a perilous direction. At the same time, fish are out there and can be caught if you know where to look. Most fishermen down in southern md. are pretty secret about their hotspots and I guarantee those that are catching (at least my buddies) are not posting their reports on Tidalfish or anywhere else for that matter. Certainly hear the frustration, but cancelling charters and such like I've heard due to poor fishing is insane. Get out there and ya just might find em'!
Yep, there's no question there's fish out there. Getting to them in a timely manner on the other hand is a different scenario. I try my best to get out 3-4 times a week, but for me, I simply don't have the time everyday to head south to find fish. We're saying the same thing and share the same attitude on the whole, I'm just saying in recent years past, I could cruise out of the South River through some spreader bars out this time of year and have fish on before I could even turn around to the second, third, or forth rod. Now it's contemplating putting boards out to just improve the odds of getting a few keepers. I also couldn't agree anymore that I wouldn't be sharing a hot spot either and don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I'm already excited though to get back out there once my wife and return from the west coast. It's 50 degrees out here at night and has me longing for some fall fishing!

·
Registered
147 Posts
pipta,
We're exactly on the same page, I hear ya completely. I'm also looking forward to the fall and I hope that some cool nights will start to encourage the fish to school up a bit tighter!
Thanks,
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts