Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out at 42 this morning looking for flounder. Weather man said 10-15KTs, but seemed more like 15-20KTS all day long. After about 8 throwback 14 inchers and two keepers in the 19" range we decided we had had enough rocking and rolling and headed to the VMRC Reef at Windmill Point Light.

Fished the bar and the area between the light and the reef and hauled in about 12 bluefish and 10 Spanish Macs. We had 4 of the Spanish in the 26" range. Started about 3PM and headed in around 5:30P. Two (2) #2 planers, two (2) #1 planers with Clark Spoons were the ticket. We also ran one shotgun down the middle with a 6 oz. inline. Chrome w/green stripe and chrome w/ pink stripe were the hottest lures. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for a good report. Sounds like it's time to make a trip. I hope they make a better showing this year than they did last year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have never fished for the macs before, but I have been very interested in starting. What is the ideal trolling speed?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try trolling about 7-9 MPH depending on wind, currents and seas. If you're going too slow the bluefish will bite before the Macs. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts