Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Nags Head from 6/4 to 6/11. Didn't fish much due to daughter being sick on trip, 2 year olds are not fun when they are sick (especially when they have to take meds that taste awful 3x a day).

Did get out in OI one afternoon and trolled some, caught a few blues and one spanish. Another day fished for an hour in the big hole south soundside of OI bridge. caught one nice trout and some small flounder and croakers. Never fished too hard and was only during middle of the day. Did take family for nice ride in boat along the beach to watch the dolphins/porposies. They were everywhere around OI. On one of the days we fished some (Tuesday) there was even a whale swimming around the inlet, pretty neat.

Finally on Friday daughter was doing better, so decided to head to HI early on Saturday 6/10. Left wife w/ 2 lil' ones in Nags Head for half a day. Got out thru the inlet around 8am, started pulling clark spoons. Caught several spanish and blues between the last set of red/green cans and the sea bouy. Things slowed around 9, 10am headed south. After trolling south for about a mile we got out of the green sound water coming out of the inlet and got into pretty blue water. From 10 am to noon we caught about 60 spanish. All you wanted. We found the fish from 35 to 45 feet of water. Beautiful fish and water. Had to pack it in at noon to head back for a wedding in Nags Head that evening. One of those days you wanted to fish all day, weather got better as day went along.

So anyway, plenty of spanish at HI. Silver spoons preferred over gold. Pulled 2 rods on #1 planers, and 2 rods w/ inlines ( 2 oz and 3 oz), planers caught twice as much.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one fish all day less than 12" FL limit. Most were 14-17", did have about 6 that were in the 22-24" range.

Why is the best fishing always when it's time to go home? Just makes you want to get back sooner.

Also, don't know what kind of whale we saw. Was black, maybe 20-22' in length. Anyone have any ideas?

-Tom

·
Registered
915 Posts
thanks again.
I just noticed you are from Blacksburg.I went your way a few years back to the hubbell plant and learned quite a bit about light fixtures and bulbs.interesting place and neat country.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Black whale ? Pilot Whales are black, but 20+ feet long seems a bit large for a "pilot".

Whoops, just found out they can top out at 25 feet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
20+ feet piolet whale is defently possible. My boat is 23 foot and a few weeks ago I ran into a large school out in the blue water that ran for roughly over a mile. It was like trolling a long weed line of whales. never in my life seen anything like this. But anyways one of the whales we noticed seem to be quite a bit larger that all the rest when it rolled in the water. Got to check this out. Pulled in some of the lines, motered in close and the thing came up a few yards off my side. Holly sht it was about 5 feet longer than my boat. gave me a little scare too to the size of the the thing. Coolest thing is when we kicked one engine out of gear and drifted right through the school. They hunge in the water a few feet from my boat. While drifting slow trolling we hooked up on 2 fat 45 to 50lbs yellowfins. Alsome site. Little piolet whales, large ones and then a hole lot of dolphins(flipper) in the mix.

·
Registered
913 Posts
[Q]happy hours originally wrote:
thanks again.
I just noticed you are from Blacksburg.I went your way a few years back to the hubbell plant and learned quite a bit about light fixtures and bulbs.interesting place and neat country.
[/Q]
hey there what kind of buisness are you in ? i work for a electrical supplier ,, just curious say the post abouit hubbell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts