Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like another failed year for the spanish macs in the lower bay. Not sure what it might have to do with menhaden since spanish eat glass minnows, but I say let's get rid Omega and then see what happens. Couldn't hurt. By the way Omega means "the end".

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Dang Kennedy... I hope its not true.. This is my first yr living on lower end of bay and love Mac's!
I did well up on Rapp river for them last yr. But know what you mean! I have been somewhat worried about lack in #'s of them.
And I like pretty much everyone know, agree about the blue hulled bay rapers

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
There has been some concerns raised that the stripers are eating large quantities of glass minnows because there are limited amounts of Menhaden available. Glass minnows are not very nutritious for the stripers because they need Menhaden in their diets and they are an important forage food for juvenile blue fish and trout.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
544 Posts
Might want to talk down the importance of glass minnows in the food web, or I am sure if Omega Catfood could figure out a way to suck 90% of the glass minnows out of our waters and turn them into a thimble full of something like, feed for hermit crabs, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

They were at it yesterday morning on both sides of the CCBT. Since they have already cleared the upper areas including the Rapp all the way up to the Corrotoman, the poor bastards are having to motor all the way down to the southern end to get their blue-hull-raping holds filled. Seems to me they are struggling, not lifting their nets but, struggling to find enough of our baby menhaden to fill their holds.

Don't know about the rest of you but, I am NOT seeing large schools of menhaden anywhere and, for God's sake, if you have... DO NOT PUT IT ON HERE!!!!

What a depressing scene...

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Cloud

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't worry the bay is close to being completely emptied of all forage fish. Then of course there won't be any game fish and I'm sure it will be the Rec fishers fault for taking more than they should. But Big Business always wins! If you have the money the politicians have the time! Maybe I'll take up RVing or golf and start fishing again in 10-15 years when things have started to turn around again

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use to cook a lot of fish at work in the microwave.. butter, garlic. Trout, flounder-excellent...Spanish will explode though... found that out one day. Not sure why but it did it two different times. Must be all the mercury.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Filet, leave skin on. Put alum foil in grill. Place seasoned filets skin side down and cook for 7 minutes with lid closed. Use a metal spatula to shave the meat from the skin which should be stuck to the foil. Fold up foil and your ready to eat! Whole family loves them this way.

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts