Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys- jamie here. i post alot up on the Virginia board and the Freshwater one as well all the time. I have never spear fished before, but took my brother out to the tower last summer and we, well he i should say cleaned house every time we went. all the fish i caught i released because we kept the big ones he shot. he uses a 32 inch gun made by jbl. i been looking at guns and been leaning towards the ab biller 42 inch, having never done it before would i be better off with a longer gun- say a 48 or a shorter one around 32 or even a 24 ? i been looking at them inthe 42 from a dealer in floridia. the only reason i have not gone in the dive centers here is i dont want to be laughed out of the place. any and all thoughts will help !! he has scuba stuff, tanks and all but never used anything but fins and a mask by the way.

EDIT- spell check

·
Registered
578 Posts
racn35,
If you really want to learn how to hunt get a pole spear to start with. It should work just fine on those spade fish at the tower and for not much money, either. Then you can get a bigger gun when you are ready to go after bigger fish. Look at OMER, Rob Allen, Wong, Riffe, JBL, Picasso, Esclapez, Merlo, Mares, Technisub, AB Biller, etc. to see what you like when you are ready to step up a notch. In the meantime, work on the most important piece of equipment first, yourself. Get a good quality low voume mask, a zipperless 3mm wetsuit, a rubber marsailles style weight belt and some long freediving fins. There is an OMER dealer in the Norfolk/VA Beach area that can hook you up with everything you need (omerdiving.com) in person or by phone, and a shop in Ocean City MD that can do the same (spearfishinggear.com) online or in person. There are lots of other online options if you can't find what you want at those two places. If you talk to the OMER distributor, ask Mark there about the Mid-Atlantic Freedive Club. It's free and they do some good trips. Matt at spearfishinggear does some trips, too.
Mark J.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jamie,

Good advice from Mark. I'm a semi-newbie to spearfishing myself, and have a Mares Cyrano (that Mark sold to me last year), and the rest of my gear I got from Matt at Pirate Scuba in Ocean City (the spearfishinggear.com site he referred to). Last summer I speared with the polespear down at the CBBT, and it's good to learn with, further echoing what Mark said.

I'm a member of the Delmarva Spearfishing Club that Matt runs out of Ocean City, and he normally posts on the Spearboard under the Southern Atlantic section for updates. There's at least three of us here in the DC area chapter of the club, and we'll be getting together down in OC and back up in DE at the Breakwater this spring sometime from time to time. I'm sure you would be welcome to join us.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY THANKS YOU TWO FOR THE REPLYS !! I HAVE A LITTLE TIME STILL UNTIL I WILL BE SHOOTING SPADES THATS FOR SURE- AS OF NOW THATS ALLI PLAN ON GOING AFTER IS SPADES AT THE TOWER- I BET IT CAN GET ADDICTAIVE TOO AS WELL AND WANT TO GO OTHER PLACES AND TARTGET OTHER SPECIES. I LOVE THEM SPADES THO AND WANT TO BRING BACK MEAT WHEN THEY GET TIGHT LIPPED OUT THERE !! THANX AGAIN GUYS - JAMIE

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey Jaimie, You've got a ride to the Tower and I've got some equipment you could try plus some experience. Maybe we could cut a deal...
Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
On that note Jamie, I've got almost two of everything at this point - I am a bit shy on experience yet, but I do need a ride like Mark and you could also borrow some of mine. Between the two of us you should find something that works :O

·
Registered
331 Posts
That Cyrano's holding up nicely. I haven't actually shot anything with it, unfortunately. I had my opportunity at the DE Open last summer, but I may have told you that my mask fogged over on me the whole day, and I couldn't see to shoot anything. I almost lost the Mares when I put it on the rocks for the blink of any eye and it got washed away.

I'm looking at getting a Rob Allen or Riffe this spring or sooner, before things get going. What are you shooting these days?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Warren,
Depends on where and what I'm shooting as to the equipment involved. For the DE breakwater you have the ideal weapon in the Cyrano. I use a Rob Allen 80 CM there most of the time if I don't have a 70 cm pneumatic. A 90 works well there when the vis is over 15 feet.

For NC I use a 55" Wong Hybrid or a 110 to 140 Rob Allen on the reefs depending ov viz. I think the 140 RA is all the gun you will need there but I also have a Riffe Islander I used for a couple of years there and a 63" Wong Ono that I plan to use on Tuna if the regs become favorable while I am still able. I have a reel on the 55" Hybrid and either short line or go to a float line for everything else. Oh, I do have a reel to go on any Rob Allen and holes drilled for the reel that is on the Hybrid to go on the Riffe. IMHO a floatline is safest, especdially if you shoot Amberjack. Those guys will wrap you up in a line pretty fast and are strong enoiugh to drown you in a heartbeat. I have used a 70 cm pneumatic much like the oe you have with success on cobia, AJ, Barracuda and Grouper. It's the Indian, not the arrow. That's why it's good to start with a pole spear. A friend of mine in NJ, Tony, once shot and landed a 70 pound AJ with a pole spear with a slip tip. He didn't stone it, either. You have to meet Tony. He's retired now and still spearfishes. He's still fit and a pretty good freediver to about 70 feet or so and scubas to whatever is needed.
Mark

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now that sounds like a plan too- even if i did have my own gun- last year ( and days like today to 4a ) a trip out to the tower was right around 100 bucks. me and 3 of my buddys was only 25 each.....i shouldnt ever cost you any more than that. i plan on going alot too !

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mark,

You've mentioned Tony before, and I'd like to meet him one of these days, and maybe we can all do some spearing. So for I have the impression I'm good wit the Mares you sold me, and I'm cool with that. I can liken that too hunting on dry land insomuch as I've only got one rifle, that FN Model 24 in 30-06 that I told you about, and it's enough - for now :} When the time comes for more speargun, or just something different, I'll get into it, but for now I'm still learning.

I did send a message to Bruce and Rod up there in NJ on Spearboard, whom I think you may also know. We had coordinated, or tried to, coordinate several trips back home near LBI and Cape May/Atlantic City, but it never happened.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hey Racn, ill buddy up with ya to the CLT this summer.

I always meant to bring a spear gun last yr but just fished instead.

H.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds good- i can go anytime too guys- my boss is too cool- this month is my 1 year mark of cancer free so they pretty much let me come and go as i please !

THIS PIC IS FROM JULY 4TH LAST YEAR- WE RELEASED ALL THE FISH WE CAUGHT AND KEPT THESE 10 THAT MY BROTHER SHOT- WE COULD HAVE KEPT 12 BUT THERE WAS ONY ROOM IN THE BOX FOR 10 !

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow, that's a nice mess of spades, racn. Definitely worth the trip I'd say. I have every other Friday off with the compressed work week I'm on now and I have pretty generous leave time after putting in 32 years on the job, so we should have plenty of flexibility with getting out.
Mark

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey divers. We should get a group together, a couple a boats, and head out say around the April time frame. The wrecks should be loaded with flounder. The only issue diving here in April will be cold water and probably limited vis. So what's new. When I get some time, I will take some pics of my flounder rig that I built from a sling. Much more efficient for hunting flounder than a spear gun.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok just STOP !! your making me wish it was MAY already.....i am IN i am READY............[excited] the nearer it gets we canmake a contact tree w/ email addy,cell number etc....

1 - 20 of 100 Posts