Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kevin and I got a late start today and headed over to the Elizabeth river to check out the speck action around 10:15am.. Tried casting out a few times and got very little hits so decided to slow troll. Bait was a variety of 3/8oz flat red or round white jig heads with a white or chartreuse gulps 4 inch and gotcha white and pink grub tails... The bite started up within about 25 minutes of us trolling. Kevin was first and pulled in a nice speck. Then it was my turn. Then we both hooked up at the same time and this continued for the next couple of hours... We landed at least 18 trout for the day, 7 were throw backs and 11 were nice keepers.. This is only the third time I have ever targeted speckled trout so I was just having a ball!!! I had various rods and lines out but my favorite was the 8lb test light tackle reel/line that I had won last month in the VBAC raffle. This rod seemed to favor the bigger fish today.. Also, at around 12:30p or so, a "back up" pole that I had put out cause one of my reels hadn't been working right started screaming like a baby. I had hooked up a monster fish on this 30lb braid and I continued to fight the fish for the next 2 minutes. The funny part was I had just phoned Jamie(from TF) to let him know the bite was on when this Sweet fish hit my line. About 2 minutes later, I started to bring the fish forward and the line snapped. Kevin and I saw his tail flap on the top of the water..Ouch!! . Had to leave at 2:40 to pick the kids up, but I plan on meeting this sweet fish again real soon....So in the meantime if you have ever heard of the term "world series", I would have to say that the Game is definitely On!!!!Billy and Jamie if you are reading this, check your bmail. And to Otis my dear friend, it was so good to talk with you this morning :0) Beth

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:0)

the Hot Ditch ...just got cooler...............
water temp was like 77 degrees in some areas and the trout were smoking hot!!!!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was gonna make a trip there tommorrow, but all the replies to my post were " too early for the hot ditch" so the wife made other plans for me!! i just had this feeling............. Rich

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flounderman

Don't worry I was told the same thing by some folks that were honestly just trying help out. ....you have to go with your own gut though.. I contemplated not going when I heard that too but something inside of me said ...do it anyway!!! I am so glad I did..Not too late though.... maybe you can negotiate with the Mrs. and go on Sunday instead???..Beth..

·
Registered
631 Posts
i'm definatley going sunday, was gonna make the trip to cbbt for stripers but th hot ditch is alot closer(i live in Elizabeth city). where do you put in?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:0)

Finfever, Lyle, Brian, and Joe
Thank you so much for the kind words.. We had a blast out there today!!
Flouderman,
check your bmail.. Beth

·
Registered
771 Posts
Very nice!

So many fishing opportunities to choose from this time of year...I think y'all made the right one!:thumbup:

Thanks for the great report!:clap:

James

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
The funny part was I had just phoned Jamie(from TF) to let him know the bite was on when this Sweet fish hit my line. Billy and Jamie if you are reading this, check your bmail. And to Otis my dear friend, it was so good to talk with you this morning :0) Beth
Very nice indeed you two ~ Glad y'all got into some fish......I was in the Crab Creek parking lot UNLOADING STRIPER from TonyD's boat..... a pair of 26's a 28 and a fat 38 incher !

WTG- Jamie

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
responses :0)

James,
So many fish so little time! I agree. :yes::yes:We almost went for togs instead...
Ready or Knots,
Great point :D I have to agree they are definitely a blast on light tackle...and very addictive
Jamie,
So glad to hear @ the bigger stripes:clapping2:..Catch um.. smoke um... eat um....:chef:
Cool Breeze,
You are welcome..Hope you get a chance to get out there and have fun with them too:thumbup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Curiosity has gotten the better of me....do you guys eat the fish you catch in the Lizbeth southern branch? I was a tug capt in Norfolk harbor for close to 15 years and always shied away from eating anything in there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts