Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I decided to take a break from rebuilding my project boat and go fishing. The wife and kids were at Busch Gardens and no one was here so I took advantage of the opportunity. Really it was just a shake down cruise, I wanted to make sure everything was in order for the upcoming season. I always take a rod or two though.;-)

I was stoked! First turn and the engine fired right up. Haven't run it since January and VROOOMMM fires first try. Do a radio check and get a come back. Engine running, radio working, depth finder reading, Alright. Go to move the steering wheel and nothing. That's odd, I thought. Went back the other direction and nothing. Locked slap up. Put the boat back on the trailer and try to move the motor. Nothing. Now I had just replaced the steering last July and know dang well that it should be working. I decided that it needed and attitude adjustment. So out came the hammer. I took the steering arm off the teleflex fitting and used a piece of cardboard I found in the parking lot and gave a few shots with BFH. It moved! Put it back together and it works just like it did brand new. Re-launch the boat and off I go.

Went to a place off the flats where I usually have luck with specks early in the season. First cast with my grub and wham. Fish on. This fish was pulling funny for a trout. Thought maybe a rock then I felt the tell tale sign of a flounder. Yep my first cast of the season and I catch a 22 and 1/2 inch flounder on a speckle trout grub. I never had wished harder for it to be April fool's day. Back it goes. Make another cast, nothing. Make another cast and thunk thunk thunk. Set the hook and another flounder comes to the boat. 19 and 1/2 inches. I just shake my head and throw him back. Very next cast and flounder number three tastes the steel. This one was the smallest of the three at 18 and 3/4's of an inch. That was it. No more after that. No specks or grays or pups just those three flounder. I hope they stay there for a few days I would love to have them again on Sunday!!

It looks good for the first of April fish are here and they seem to be stacked up. Good luck when you go.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Pretty work on the flatties Byrd! Had me going with that title for a minute,lol- craig

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Gotta love that!!! I got the fever for the flava!!!! Thanks for the post....better lube that steering up!!! :eek2:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Damn, reports like this are startin to give me the itch! Great job on the flat ones. The holes and edges of the flats have produced for me once or twice!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Steering cable

Hey Byrd, nice day! I have a teleflex cable I put on my boat and its 14 feet. Its too big, I needed a 12 and it was part of a complete kit and they wouldn't take it back. Let me know if yours is 14'.
Bmail me
Mel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts