Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really fished for speckled trout other than a few unsuccessful cast around the duck blind the last few years. I have caught a few maybe 5 or 6 in the surf at Kitty Hawk about 18 years ago. I have talked to several people in the PSWSFA club the last two years about speckled trout and got some good information. I have been wanting to try it but since I really did not know what I was doing I did not want to go on a Sunday when the place would be packed so today was looking right since Monday. I started out trolling about 2 and a half hours in the rain and wind with out a single hit. I was moving to try another place to troll but on the way another boat I passed said there were several boats in the place I had planned to try some live bait latter, so I decided to pass on more trolling since it was not working. I think there were six other boats so I just picked a spot and nothing happened. About 45 minutes one boat left so I repositioned to a spot I thought would be better. I had bought one different type of bobber from what I had that allowed me to cast the line to have it away from the boat. I thought the other type I had would work but I could not get them away from the boat. I sat in the new spot about 30 minutes watching bobbers and everyone else. I had some very small gundgeons, some of the other people there were using baits that were probably 4 inches long. I was also using small circle hooks, which is what Greg at The Bait Shack in Portsmouth suggested. I am just not used to using circle hooks, I have not liked them in the past. I was watching the bobbers and the new one starts to go down so I flipped the bail and just reeled and was hooked up. I got the fish in and it was 23.5 inches and weighed it on my scales and it was about a half pound short of 5 pounds. I got my lines back out and started watching again and waiting. About 20 minutes later same bobber goes under I grabbed a pole and started reeling nothing there, the bobber is still gone and I looked over at another pole and the line is still going out. I grabbed the wrong pole, I get the right pole and start reeling and this fish is a little bigger and is taking line. I got it to the boat and missed with the net and it headed toward the motor but I was able to keep it away and netted it next try. I quickly weighed it and put it the box with the other. I called Amy to tell her and was so excited it was hard to talk. This was my 5th species for a citation this year and I do not have a Striper citation so there is still hope that I can get make my second fishing goal for this year. I stayed about another hour and a half with no more action and came on in. I took the fish into Greg to weigh, the first one was 4 pounds 10 ounces and 23.5 inches the second was 6 pounds 5 ounces and 27 inches.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you have 21 days to get that rockfish....camp out at the high rise...it will happen....all you need is 1 !

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Nice work Wes, goin for the citation ROCK this weekend if weather holds. Call me if you are free.

Kyle
ReelizeII

·
Registered
753 Posts
Greg wont lead you wrong, great bait shop and a great guy, doesnt matter if you just stop in to talk or buy a 1000 dollars worth of stuff! He always treats you great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the nice fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Way to go Wes! Thats some nice fishing rite there!! You better get out there and get that striper!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts