Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fishing out of Solomons on Sunday.
It was a little slow for us in the afternoon, so
we pushed the throttle a little and headed for the eastern channle ledge to look for marks.
Found some good marks but nothing bit.
We left the lines in the water and headed back to the HI.
Just before we got to the HI, one of the lines started screaming, I thought we had a snag.
The snag shook its head and we boated a 37" rock at 6 mph!!!!!:eek:I was amazed.
These fish must be able to move much faster than I think.
Any similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I once caught a 36 inch Rock 12 miles off the Va. coast in December.We were trolling cedar plugs at 6-7 knots on the surface when it hit.

I know a few charter boats that troll 4 knots all year and do well.I consider 3.5 fast but no doubt Rock can catch a faster trolled lure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My friend chuck and I were trolling in the spring about 4 years ago just NW of 72A when the Navy told us to proceed SE immediately at speed which we did. I went about 3/4 to 1 mi and as I slowed the boat we hooked 2 big fish. I think we were probably doing about 6-7 real speed. It always is worth a try to vary your speed and always put a hand on your rods now and then. I have caught many fish as I p/u the rod or begin to crank it in to check for grass or sea grapes.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You have to figure out what is working on a particular day...colors, weights, speed etc...If you are not catching ( especially if you see people around u catching) you need to change the routine...My father goes with me quite a bit...He is always complaing " you can not catch a fish with the lure in the boat! He ALWAYS says that.....I am never happy,,,I am ALWAYS changing things throughout the day to get what works...Problem is it may not be worth a darn tomorrow

People complain trolling is just riding around waiting on a fish to hit...If you are doing it right that couldnt be farther from the truth...I fished with a guy who would not check the baits...I could tell there was grass on the lures...THE RODS WERE BENT DOUBLE! He refused to get them in...I finally convinced him and we cleaned them all up and 10minutes later caught fish....You get out of it what you put in to it.

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
We were trolling near CCNP Sunday and bumped the throttle up to 5.6 to change course and a 36" rock hit at that speed..........Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts