Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago Russ Wilkinson and I were fly and light tackle guiding on the Middle Chesapeake Bay. We had supported each other and guided many trips together when 2 boats were needed. We would cover plenty of water in order to watch our clients catch striped bass, bluefish, and spanish mackerels. Russ is now the owner of Keeper's a Orvis sporting goods store in St. Michaels, MD, and hasn't guided since 2013. I can't thank him enough for the memorable times, and for sharing his fly fishing knowledge with me.

With his grandson Jacob in town, I had the pleasure of watching them catch some striped bass in the Upper Chesapeake Bay from my boat. I hope we can do this more often in the future.

Russ & Jacob

Most Productive Lure:
6" Bass Kandy Delight, in Chartreuse Glitter soft plastic bait fished on a 1 oz. jighead

Most Productive Technique: Horizontal Jigging:The lure will be jigged horizontally while moving back toward the boat. Cast the lure and count it down to the desired depth (on average lures sink 1 foot per second). With the rod tip parallel to the water and pointing at the lure, start moving the rod, horizontally for 45 degrees while jigging the lure. Take the slack out of the line when moving the rod tip back toward the lure again. Repeat this again and again until the lure is back at the boat.

Note: Last night Doug Schopman gave me the lure mentioned above with one exception. 3 inches of the tail was dipped in Fire Red Spike-It, Dip-N-Glow, Garlic, Lure Dye. He then put me on a 34" fat and healthy striper that put up an outstanding fight before being landed on spinning tackle. The striper never left the water before being released. Thanks Doug.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,699 Posts
Thanks captain

1 - 3 of 3 Posts