Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a couple rods that will be used for chumming. Looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced rod as I often take people that haven"t fished much and they can be hard on tackle. Have used Ugly Sticks for years but since they redesigned the rod to the GX2 model the new style guides aren't holding up (corroding). Have talked to Shakespeare and they basically said that the rods are really for freshwater use only. Never had that problem with the older style and fuji guides.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My chumming rods are okuma baitfeeders w salt striker rods, they were cheap and very durable rods. Got mine at the Kent island flea market for 20 each I think

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
Anglers near Sandy Point has a few nice chumming combos - at decent prices.

I like to carry a few different rod actions - the lighter ones are used to send baits far back - heavier ones are used with 3/4 to 2 oz weights to send baits deeper.

Shoot straight has good advice about flea markets - very likely you can find a decent used rod for $10.00 - $15.00. If damaged - not a big deal like it would be with brand new $$$ rod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get bait runner reels. I have anywhere from shimano to Okumas and they all work well. For the rod I like something with medium action. All my ugly sticks guides rusted out so your not the only one who had that problem.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I use the same combos for jigging, live lining and chumming.

My favorite set-ups are Okuma Trio Baitfeeder 30's with 6' or 6'6" med action 5 star Tsunami rods. The reels are light, very smooth, and stiff with little flex. The rods are inexpensive but very sensitive for jigging. (After having passengers break several $100+ rods I found these rods to be the ticket). Rods are a little soft for pitching heavy spot or jigs 2oz+ but nicely matched for resident fish and jigs 1.5oz or less, perfect for 1/2-1oz. (for heavier jigs I use a MH rod)

Here is the reel: http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/spinning-1/trio-baitfeeder (I actually like them better than my pricier penn and shimano reels)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I haven't used them myself, but the 5 star Tsunami rods iFishMD mentioned are, if nothing else, sure inexpensive. I quickly read a few reviews...tough as nails, not the best by any means but great at the price for newbies, charters, backup rod, etc. They are widely available online for $30 for the one piece 6'6" MH rod. Cabelas has them on sale now for $25. I am sure at least some of the locals will have them in at similar prices

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Okuma trio's are decent. They tend to fall apart but are smooth when they work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts