Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to respool trolling reels with 40 ande backing with 65PP on top. My question is how do you know when to stop adding the ande to allow adequate room for the pp without underspooling the reel? I would like to place 300 fooot section of pp. Also I would like any input on how to mark the line. ( I am using moss green)

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
First off , I would put more than 100 yards on . You are going to get an inevitable snag and break off sometime and having to splice more line while under way is a pain . I use at least 200 yards . 65lb is the diameter of 16lb mono . Depending on the type and size of reel you are using you can resort to doing the math or just eyeball it . It's not hard to do .If you leave yourself about 1/2 to 5/8" of space to the top of the spool edge , you should have enough room for 200 to 300 yards of PP . You can mark the line with a sharpie but it will eventually wear off or you could use Saltiga Boat Braid (Dendoh Line) which is colored every 10 meters . It's made for deep dropping but will fill the bill for trolling as well .

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
100 yds will not take up much of the spool.Fill it 3/4 up and add your braid - it will fit fine.

If you really want to do it perfect - you'll need a big open field.Reel on the 100 yds of braid first - then the mono.Now tie the mono to a brick and walk off all the line.Go back to the brick and wind the mono/braid back on.It's a pain but makes for the exact amount.

To mark the line - buy a Magnum marker from Office Depot.This has a real fat tip.You'll need to measure out 50 and 100 feet somewhere close to your house.A long driveway is perfect.Mark your line at 100,150,200 and 250 feet.I like to use about a 3-4 foot strip of marker.The 100 is a thick solid line- the 150 is broken 4 inch stripes - the 200 is two long strips and the 250 is three stripes.300 feet is the knot.These marks will allow you to set a nice spread.

Some guys number their rods and put on only the braid needed.Say 75 feet for a deep rod.This way- they just let out until the knot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I added a top shot of 65lb. braid to two of my reels, that had 50lb mono this fall. Used it to run the short ,deep, boat rods pulling umbrella's.
One 300yd spool for the two reels, 150yds per. I used a cheap line counter, 15 bucks at almost any Tackle store to take 70yds. off and put a 150 yds on the first reel. Problem was, the uni to uni knots tag end tit will tlegraph thru, making it rough on the thumb when letting the lines out. I would follow the advice above and add more than the 100yds. As a side note, amazing how deep the braid runs as compaired to the mono, at least on the heavy deep lines. I never did get them dialed in, as far as depth, and never hooked up in five trips out after changing to braid.
We snagged both lines second trip out in forty feet of water, maybe a net, but there was no getting them up, hooked rock hard, so backed down and cut them. If I was to do it again, I would still add at least 150 yds, maybe three hundred each.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The line counter works great for mono, but it tends to slip on the braid. At least that's what the Shakespere counter did when I used it. I would put AT LEAST 150yds on braid on the reel. I've rigged all my 114's this way. just be sure to stay below the outer shoulder of the spool and it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
amount.

To mark the line - buy a Magnum marker from Office Depot.This has a real fat tip.You'll need to measure out 50 and 100 feet somewhere close to your house.A long driveway is perfect.Mark your line at 100,150,200 and 250 feet.I like to use about a 3-4 foot strip of marker.The 100 is a thick solid line- the 150 is broken 4 inch stripes - the 200 is two long strips and the 250 is three stripes.300 feet is the knot.These marks will allow you to set a nice spread.
Do this when on land, NOT while on the boat...I tried this on the boat once and had black specks all over the boat from the excess ink coming off the line! :eek2: Not fun trying to get permanent ink off the gelcoat and non-skid!:52:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
if ya got some matching reels you can put ever how much braid ya wan on one then fill it with mono. The spool the other one from it. For your light tackle spinners a lot of'm come with a spare spool.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I would put way more than that on too. If you only put on a few hundred feet all it takes is for you to snag one crab pot, and you have to redo everything.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I use 300 feet because I buy the line in 300 yd (900 feet) spools.By using 300 feet- I get 3 reels per spool.With 22 reels to fill - it costs the cost down alot.I get the braid for about $33.00 per spool so 100 yds costs $11.00 per reel.

Very few Rock pull much line from my reels - I like a tight drag.The bigger Rock that do pull drag have 250 yds or more of backing - no Rock will ever pull that much line.

With crab pots or other snags - I just clamp down the line with a rag and hope.Often the leader will break - saving the braid.Now/then the braid will break.I'd rather lose 100 yds then 300 yds of braid.

This year I might even just use 200 feet on some of the boat rods that are fished close.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If doing multple reels I would suggest that you purchase the 1500 yd spool instead of the 300 yd spools. It really helps out on the cost. Cuts about 30% off the cost per reel. Cheaper than respooling with a good quality mono every year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if ya got some matching reels you can put ever how much braid ya wan on one then fill it with mono. The spool the other one from it. For your light tackle spinners a lot of'm come with a spare spool.
I do what Gerald suggested. Also, if you count the bars of mono as you are taking it onto the second reel from the first, you will know how much you need to put back on the other reel.

·
Banned
859 Posts
100 yds will not take up much of the spool.Fill it 3/4 up and add your braid - it will fit fine.

If you really want to do it perfect - you'll need a big open field.Reel on the 100 yds of braid first - then the mono.Now tie the mono to a brick and walk off all the line.Go back to the brick and wind the mono/braid back on.It's a pain but makes for the exact amount.

Some guys number their rods and put on only the braid needed.Say 75 feet for a deep rod.This way- they just let out until the knot.
i do it the same, except have a berkley tri-spooler and use empty spools to put the line back on to before i put it back on the reel.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
;-) - a local baitshop on a slow weekday with a linewinder machine works real good too :thumbup:.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what are ya'll using to connect mono to braid, I was going to use a uni to uni but am a bit worried about the braid cutting into the mono. Does anyone use a small ball bearing swivel to connect them?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I use a back tio back Uni-knot.I take 5-6 wraps for the mono but 8-9 wraps for the braid.Draw the knot tight SLOWLY and you'll be fine.Be careful the braid does not cut you though.I often wrap it around a wood dowel rod to pull the knot tight.

It is a very strong knot.Tricky to tie first few times but once you get the hang of it- it's easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts