Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first year I’ve actually put in any real effort into deer hunting and have only been out a few times. I tried again yesterday at a popular public hunting area in Mo County. I was on foot and the wind was blowing pretty hard again, maybe 15-20 NE with stronger gusts. The wind was coming from my side and back as I entered a large soybean field heading south. I had never been there before and figured I'd just spot and stalk to look for better hunting areas for the future and later move to avoid the wind.

I had walked over a mile through the maze of soybean fields stopping to rattle occasionally being overly cautious to stay along the edge. I came up on a ridge in the field and just as I got to the top there was a nice doe about 150 yards working her way across the field perpendicular to me and approaching down wind. I had taken every precaution to eliminate my scent and maybe the wind was taking my smell more east as she was more south of me.

I dropped to my knees on the edge of the field and crawled to within less than 100 yards but still way out of my range obviously. Every time I’d move an inch, she would look up at me with all eyes and ears pointed in my direction. She had worked her way through the field, stopping every once in a while to feed or to cautiously look up at me and behind her. I kept thinking, just imagine if there's something following her. She'd often raise her tail but not to flag it, maybe to defecate or urinate. When she entered the forest she was about 75 yards from me but I thought I had spooked her. By the time I got to the area where she entered the forest, she was staring right at me maybe 30 yards but in heavy cover. She spooked when I finally noticed her to raise my bow; I was not expecting to see her.

So I followed her into the thick understory of Paw paw and grape vine. I had no idea where she was but knew the general area where she ran to and didn't hear her run very far. It was nearing dark so I decided to go back to the field and maybe spot more deer coming or going. By the time I made it to the field the same doe had circled back around on me, got down wind in the open field but was now within 75 yards. Every ounce of her attention was directed towards me. But I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't think she'd be there as I wasn't trying to be overly quiet. I just froze and stayed montionless for a good 5 minutes. She looked nervous so the greedy, rookie hunter I am decided to prepare for the shot. The elastic on my face mask had slipped down to my eye brows, it's supposed to be over my forehead. As I was drawn, a branch was in the way of the top of my bow, my shoulder was stuck on a thorn and I just had to take two more steps. The whole time she was glaring at me. So I let the arrow fly. I had no business taking that shot. She was at least 65 yards out, maybe more. My arrow just narrowly missed her head. From now on I'll make sure this rookie knows his limits. But wow was that exciting.

On the walk back I put the stalk on a ground hog. Hit him from 25 yards out with a 1.5" broad head but in the shoulder while he was facing me. The arrow didn't go in more than a few inches as it must have hit all bone. But it did its job. Not bad for 2.5 hours of hunting. But I was left with a guilty feeling after taking the whistle pig. There was really no need for it. I took its tail to use in tying flies but overall wasted the animal just to provide some sport. I'll stick with deer and maybe next time hunt from a tree stand for the first time. But this stalking thing sure is exciting.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Theres no real need to ever feel bad for killing a ground hog. And yes you should prepare for rookie mistakes asswhipping that you will get from some of the fine folks that post up here. On the other hand it sounds like you learned a couple valuable lessons. Stalking is fine, however this isnt Cabelas Wild Skyes on ESPN 2, so I would stick to the tree stand. Good luck and go get em.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Well written and a good read. Seems to me you need to do a little bit of pre season scouting and I think you will have better luck at patterning them. I have tried some spot and stalk on whitetail with a bow as well with no luck either. Keep at it and a shot will present itself it just might take some time. Invest in a decent climber and HUNT THAT SOYBEAN FIELD. Thanks again for sharing.

Pete

·
Registered
889 Posts
Practice.......Practice......Practice.......and only take shots from the distance you practice at and are sure you can be deadly at........never just shoot an arrow at an animal just hoping to hit it.........you owe that animal more respect than that......65 yards with the wind blowing.....:nono:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point well taken. I figured out that I shouldn't have done it once I did it. My back drop was a hill. I had practiced some at 50 yards but without hitting an accurate enough grouping. Too many things can happen at that range, I've read and been told that before but you never really know or realize that truth until you experience it.

I'll return to the areas I am more familiar with and have spent the time to investigate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts