Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and I'm driving down to Virginia Beach and fishing over the Memorial Day & 4th of July weekends. My target fish will be Flounder, Red Drum, and Cobia (July). I know that Live Spot, Live Croaker, and even Croaker chunks can be great bait, but I'm wondering where I can catch them easily before heading out to catch my Real Target. I can launch from either Rudee Inlet, Lynnhaven, or Little Creak. I'm hoping to get some detailed info, so I'm not spending 2 hours catching bait. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new to this site and I'm driving down to Virginia Beach and fishing over the Memorial Day & 4th of July weekends. My target fish will be Flounder, Red Drum, and Cobia (July). I know that Live Spot, Live Croaker, and even Croaker chunks can be great bait, but I'm wondering where I can catch them easily before heading out to catch my Real Target. I can launch from either Rudee Inlet, Lynnhaven, or Little Creak. I'm hoping to get some detailed info, so I'm not spending 2 hours catching bait. Thanks for all the help.
In the Lynnhaven, once the croaker show up, just about any channel about 5' deep will hold all the hand sized fish you could want. A simple bottom rig with blood worm fish bites will do the trick all day. You can also try out a cast net too. You likely won't find any spot or croaker, but can land a lot of mullet and menhaden, both of which make great cut bait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my two cents. If you are looking for bait that each fish mentioned actually want to eat here is my run down? Flounder: Strips of Blue Fish (Just Caught), Strips of Spots (Just Caught), Strips of Squid. In that order. Then if you're using live bait, Bull Minnows and small Spot's. Red Drum: Peeler Crabs, Blue Crab Chunks, Cut Mullet or Spot's. Cobia: Eels, Live small Bunker, Whole Live Blue Crabs No Claws) I have never caught one but I will get my first one this year. I've owned 3 boats and only targeted them once. I've seen them, and I've driven over and past more than I can count. Now if you want to catch Spots & Croakers they are literally everywhere. Just use small hooks with Squid or Bloodworms, the Fish Bite flavors work great as well. Enjoy your time down here and tight lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my two cents. If you are looking for bait that each fish mentioned actually want to eat here is my run down? Flounder: Strips of Blue Fish (Just Caught), Strips of Spots (Just Caught), Strips of Squid. In that order. Then if you're using live bait, Bull Minnows and small Spot's. Red Drum: Peeler Crabs, Blue Crab Chunks, Cut Mullet or Spot's. Cobia: Eels, Live small Bunker, Whole Live Blue Crabs No Claws) I have never caught one but I will get my first one this year. I've owned 3 boats and only targeted them once. I've seen them, and I've driven over and past more than I can count. Now if you want to catch Spots & Croakers they are literally everywhere. Just use small hooks with Squid or Bloodworms, the Fish Bite flavors work great as well. Enjoy your time down here and tight lines.
Thanks for all the great info!!

Where can you get peeler crabs and is that the only LIVE bait for Red Drum?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the great info!!

Where can you get peeler crabs and is that the only LIVE bait for Red Drum?
Peelers are available when Crabs begin to get Hard from being soft. So you have to keep this in mind. (You want to pinch off the very tip of the Shell and it should reveal another soft shell under it. And the Claws show a reddish/pinkish color on them. The go to place for me has always been Wallaces over in Newport News when I was buying them and launching my boat from over there, but on the Southside Oceans East has been having some over the past few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts