Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reviewing my log books most of the rockfish I have caught in the spring seasons have been 35 - 41 inch fish. I would guess probably 80% fall within the slot limit. Most under 35" were late in the spring season. Am I alone here?

As a side note, what will you do differently becauce of the slot limit? Personally, I may run all 6" and 12" shads instead of 9". But I am not sure this will make a difference.

Fin

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
I went through my logs last night and 86% of the fish landed were in the slot limit. 10% over 41" and only 4% under the 35". Looks like a catch and release spring season coming up. I hope all that catch slot fish handle them properly. Don't want to 35"-41"RF floating dead in the bay.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I dont' fish the bay propper much but the few times I did last year all the fish were the now slot fish during the spring season. I fished the flats very hard last year and was fortunate enough to catch several fish that would have been in that slot size. With only one a few in the over slot size.

I'm guessing 60-80% of the fish caught this season will be in that slot. That's the most abundant size class from the record 1996 year class. A lot of good quaility, good eating size 36" fish will go back this year but that only means one thing. Plenty of bigguns for next year.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
We limited each trip last year...but nuttin over 40", nuttin below 35" until 5/5 w-end...hard to say if this season is gonna be "worthwhile". Like RH said..I think it will be a BIG C&R Trophy season for alot of folks, including me. :eek:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fishing from TPL to 84 mostly last spring. Each time I caught fish in the 28-33" range. Fished maybe 5 times in the heart of it. I use mostly 6" shads on hair 2-3 oz bucktails. Maybe bigger lure = bigger fish? My .02

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
On opening day last season we caught 5!! 32 7/8" fish, which was good becuase the min. size was raised to 33" and that saved a lot of fish, I belive that is the 96' year class the scientists talk about, however they will all be in the slot again this year, which mean hopefully most of them will live, I can't wait in about four-five years all those fish will be 41+ and we will have an abundance of serious big fish.

Talk about a lucky year to be born as a rockfish.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Actually last year we caught more smaller rock than keepers, 32 1/2 seemed to be one of the most popular sizes, the biggest fish we landed last year was 37 1/2. If my luck plays me the same, I should be looking good this year. Now in 2005 all of the rock we landed were in the 36+ size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last year, 85% of my fish were in the slot range and I did not catch one below 35 until the final week of the trophy season. I hope people are releasing these fish properly or we are gonna have a mess on our hands out there. A fish that has been dragged through the water during a long retrieve needs to be properly released to swim away strong. Stretch

·
Registered
458 Posts
The one thing I do remember about these smaller fish, is their love for TOMICS
I quit using them because of the smaller fish they seemed to bring in, but with the slot, I'll probably go back becaue they do produce. I am right with you guys in terms of average size last year, but I did have the occasional ones over 40. I have alot of stinger hooks already rigged from before and may decide to go to one hook. If you have TOMICS, think about using them in tandem

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
All you guys are say'n these fish will grow to be bigger fish. Don't forget that for the rest of the year, these fish are be'n prayed upon in states that arn't be'n penalized. Sounds to me like the guys up north will have a banner year.
BTW- I doubt I'll have much trouble catching my limit. Prolly won't C&R any more, or less fish than usual.:))

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I was new to the game and only got out three times, one skunk, two 33's and a 43. (That's why the influx of $$ this year) Guess I would have done alright.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Last spring was very good on our boat. We threw back about 6 fish on the first two outings and they were over 30" but under 33".We got limits or were one short on the 8 trips between the opener and May 15. We had 4 fish over 40" non over 45". I think big hook baits do help your chances ie, 9" shads on 4 oz. paras behind 4 arm umbrellas w/ 6" teasers.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had a great year with 36-38 inch fish and 3 over 41. Will do fine this year and will fish a bit longer for them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Caught about 25 spring rock last year.

4 over 41": 2- 42", 1- 43", and 1- 46"

about 6-8 under 35"

about 13-15 in the slot

Over half fish were slot.

Kept 6 fish total- [email protected]", one 43", and one 46". So if same results this year, will keep same amount of fish, same sizes.

(I like the smaller rock for taste, kept the 2 bigger ones, because they were friend's biggest fish caught)

I usually catch limit, then C&R for a few. This year, will be C&R for a few, then catch limit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
catman i agree with you. maryland fishermen will adjust to the rules and have a great season, we always do. when and how do all the others be held accountable?

·
Registered
785 Posts
last year's slots

Opening day - 7 fish total. 6 between 28 - 33". Keeper was 37"
Rest of season I would guess another 12-15 slot fish.
Most keepers 35-38"
Biggest were a couple of 40"s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts