Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 18 ft trophy w/fishing arch set up for trophy season outta solomons isl but i usually trailer the boat to rocky pt. to crab in Middle river area I would like to go rockfishing in the C&R season but i troll and dont want to bust up my new stuff by smashing the barbs Any recommendations on lures or other ways for this time of year ? i want to learn as much as i can so any input is appreciated Gbuckner if your out there id like to talk to you about some more lures Thanks Ed

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
The barb on the hook is really designed to keep bait from slipping off - not so much to hold a fish.

I fished the 2010 C/R barbless season - although a slow bite , can not say we lost any fish due to barbless hooks.
Missed a few hook ups but that is normal in trolling.

As long as steady tension is applied - fish can not get loose - once hooked up.

Once the kill season came in - I kept using the barbless lures. I did add a barbed stinger to some of them but I like the action of a single hook shad better.

Mashing the barb in no way will ruin your lures. If you are really worried about it - use older lures for C/R - then put out new barbed ones for the kill season.

I'll bet once you fish mashed barbs - your concerns will vanish.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 27 sailfish but the truth is i dont have old lures to use i just got my setup this past spring then had back surjury and only fished my boat once this fall 42 1/2 and a 33 1/2 for my dad and friend bill none for me yet i see what your saying though . cant use stingers during c&r though can we? still wanna see gbuckner again and get some smaller stuff.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I fished 1 day in the C&R season, single mashed barb hooks and we only had one fish come unhooked during a pretty good (and long) day. Only one knockdown that didn't hook up.

Add a stinger in the keep season and you have a barbed hook - then you have the option to take it off when you limit out and then do some C&R then as well using the same responsible techniques.

To get some cheap stuff to mess around with, go to the flea markets. There is always someone selling chutes for $1-3 a piece.

Buckner sells his stuff at at least one flea market, I think...maybe Solomons? Someone else may know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts