Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When can a kayak fisherman start looking for spring Stripers in the DE around Wilmington? New Castle has a great place to launch from and a local guy last year told me in the spring you can find Stripers just off New Castle around what he called the "ice breakers". Small man-made islands that break up the river ice in the winter. He also said try the dam on the Christiana river in Wilmingon. Is April to early to get out and try?

·
Registered
98 Posts
never fished it but lived there for 10 yrs;wherever you park make sure you don't leave anythiing of value showing--not even a folder:you will be inviting a break-in
Tom

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ice breakers are like huge blocks built of stone located right off the wharf at Battery Park in the heart of old (historic) New Castle, and April is probably the best time to be there.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
For the past three days, birds have been working the river next to I-495. I see them on my ride home & I want to stop on the freeway, jump the Amtrack lines & see whats up. I dunno if its shad, rockfish or something else, but something is happening!
There is a new park in that area, just north of the Dupont Plant, it may have a place to launch a Yak.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are two boat ramps you could launch from in Wilmington. There is one down by a little restaurant called "up the Creek" on the Christina River. It's about 3 minutes from Downtown Wilmington. The second one is a new ramp and floating dock they built farther up the Christina above the outlet shops. You can see it on the right hand side off 95 south. You could launch from either one. The one by "Up the Creek" is much closer to the actual Delaware River if you are paddling.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was heading up 495 to the Tower Theater on Sat evening and noticed those birds too.....in the river, not the dump. And yes, they were pounding something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not a kayaker, but you might want to think twice about heading out into that part of the Delaware River in April in any boat that you've got to paddle.

Currents are very strong in that part of the river, more so than in the lower bay, and the water is still very cold in April, although that is when the stripers first arrive.

It is those wicked currents that break the ice against the ice breakers. My father had a high school friend that died trying to canoe to Fort Delaware in November. Dangerous water.

·
Registered
241 Posts
many times the birds are skimming god knows what off the water. i have thrown all kinds of stuff into them to know evail. i think them big boats churn the bottom enough for some morsels to float up.
as far as kayaking in the city watch out. i have had rocks hunked at me in a canoe, a motorboat and had the bejesus scared out of me by a heavily scarred homeless guy who asked me to leave his "living room". apparently the big rock i was fishing of off was his front porch.. ohh weelll!!!! hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Caution in these waters is without question a priority. It can be a nasty place from all angles. However, I have also had some extremley productive fishing trips in and around wilmo over the years - both in numbers of bass and size. At times they are all over out there. The Brandywine Creek below the first pipe damn(near Washington Street Bridge) is a good spot for a kayak. The water is usually clear and the big girls have been known to also make their way up there. It also a good spot to catch some shad. You can watch them jumping over the falls as well - very cool. You might have to put in at Up The Creek and paddle up or fish the shore by foot. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
I''ve never fished the Delaware,but there's some good Musky & Walleye fishing there also.Anybody done that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes Capt Nick,but about 150 250miles up river from Wilmington:north of from where the 3 states of NJ,NY, and Pa meet at Port Jervis,NY----all the way to Hancock ,NY(where the East and West Branch of the De River meet--and some of the best trout fishing in the East)

·
Registered
241 Posts
actually a 10 lb tiger musky was caught in the non tidal brandywine. last year i knew this fish was there because a dnr agent electro fishing had sighted him while studying that section. a year later an angler got him on a huge minnow. how he got there wether washdown the brandywine or made his way down the delawre and up the brandywine. kinda cool ......

·
Registered
614 Posts
[Q]Yakgeek originally wrote:
When can a kayak fisherman start looking for spring Stripers in the DE around Wilmington? New Castle has a great place to launch from and a local guy last year told me in the spring you can find Stripers just off New Castle around what he called the "ice breakers". Small man-made islands that break up the river ice in the winter. He also said try the dam on the Christiana river in Wilmingon. Is April to early to get out and try?
[/Q]

If you're planning to eat any of those fish, you might want to consider the DE/NJ fish advisory for DE Bay north of the C&D Canal...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never targeted heavily but have caught some stripers in the lower B-wine. I don't know if you can do this by law but there is semi-easy access for a kayak from the B-wine Zoo area. Also caught many smallies and largemouth from the zoo area. There are stray reports every year of 'eyes and muskies in the B-wine. I'd be curious on where they did the shock count. There's one area that once or twice a year I get my soft plastics cut in half. As for the 'yak in the DE River? As stated above, current is deceptive and the tankers that move up and down the river create a helluva surge. I wouldn't recommend it, maybe focus on the Christina and Brandywine. Good luck when you go, late March to early May they should be running hard pending the water temp but there is a closed season north of the C&D Canal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts