Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I left the dock this morning at 6:30. We headed north out of the rappahanock and saw lots of bait with some scattered marks out from fleets bay so we stopped and dropped our spread. No bites out of the bait marks so we headed east towards the north end of the cut channel and hooked up on the western edge. The fish bit a 4 ounce chute back about 50 feet off the port planer board. The dang rubber band wouldn't break! We had to reel in the other two rods in front of it, then reel the line with the fish to the boat and cut the band with a knife. Never have that happen. After that she decided it was time to cross the back of the boat so we had to juggle all the lines to avoid tangles. Finally got her in and it was a spawned out female, 45 inches long. Fished till the tide stopped and only managed to get caught up on a crab pot at the edge of the cut channel after the fish. Going back on Monday to try again.

-john

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, kind of annoying when opening weekend is a full moon. Just happy I was able to get one

·
Registered
218 Posts
I fished this area today and struck out. Hardly any bait. Might try R2 tomorrow

Also thinking about running an hour up to the Potomac

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang. Guess I need a new game plan for tomorrow morning. Might end up running up toward 62 and fishing the deep hole through there. Will be on 68, Maritime Mayhem is boats name.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fished all afternoon until 6:00pm. Started at 59A worked up towards the RP bouy and then some. No bait to speak of. Headed over towards Fleets bay and no bait at all. 62 may be a good call Satterly. Be out early tomorrow am.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I wish that I could give you a more encouraging report. I fished around 62 and the Northern Neck Reef today without a hit. I then trolled around the RP Buoy and 59A, also without a hit. Fishing alone with planers, I did manage to loose multiple lures and braid to the crab pots east of the cut channel. It was a nice day on the water, but an expensive outing without fish.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The western side got me down around 55. Packed up and called it a day after losing 3 umbrellas, a tandem and line from 4 rods. Tomorrow will be better

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rubber bands seem to "cure" in the salt water and break. Try the Scottie Clips. you can use the small ones and jerry rig them with a 1/4" locknut as a spacer and they hold right much tension.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Trolled 5 lines for 3 hours from mosquito point to Deltaville side of channel. Mark "stuff" but no hits.

Did see the eastern shore 'mirage' as it appeared around 3:30 till we headed back up river. Weird.

R

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We covered lots of ground today on our first charter of the year and struck out bad. Worked as far north as the RP and all the way back down and up into the river almost to the bridge. We saw some great bait and some good fish marks. Snagged some bunker but couldn't hook up on a real fish. Had lines in the water at 7 and pulled them up at 3:30. Hopefully next time will be better

·
Registered
573 Posts
Trolled 5 lines for 3 hours from mosquito point to Deltaville side of channel. Mark "stuff" but no hits.

Did see the eastern shore 'mirage' as it appeared around 3:30 till we headed back up river. Weird.

R
Same here on Sunday. Took the Parker out for a shakedown trip and trolled for a couple of hours from Mosquito Point to mouth of river and back, staying on the north side of the river. Saw very little bait and got no hits. Almost forgot how to fine tune my sonar. At least I did not have a guest to see me puzzle over the various sonar options.

Saw the same eastern shore "mirage" from the dock around 2:30 when closing up the boat on the lift. I have noticed it a few other times on calm days.
Tom

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When the weather conditions are right, you will see a reflection above the water of the Eastern Shore. It will be upside down, normally dark gray with a flat upper edge and jagged bottom from the trees on the shore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When the weather conditions are right, you will see a reflection above the water of the Eastern Shore. It will be upside down, normally dark gray with a flat upper edge and jagged bottom from the trees on the shore.
Sounds pretty cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for it

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same here on Sunday. Took the Parker out for a shakedown trip and trolled for a couple of hours from Mosquito Point to mouth of river and back, staying on the north side of the river. Saw very little bait and got no hits. Almost forgot how to fine tune my sonar. At least I did not have a guest to see me puzzle over the various sonar options.

Saw the same eastern shore "mirage" from the dock around 2:30 when closing up the boat on the lift. I have noticed it a few other times on calm days.

Tom
Did the same Saturday, from Whitestone bridge to Windmill. Saw quite a bit of bait and some marks, but no bites except for getting a shad tail bitten off of umbrella trailer.
Went on a charter out of Chesapeake Beach, MD Tuesday and we caught 11 on 14 bites. 7 of them at 41". Heard they got them good again today, so should be migrating south to get out of town now. Did better on eastern channel edge and all but one fish caught on tandems 35 ft back from board lines. Nothing caught on boat rods. Also, the 10 caught on tandems were all caught on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th baits in from the board.

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts