Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second year trolling boards, so be easy ;) ok my question is i have a 8 rod spread , im trolling my lures between at 35-30-25-20-20-15-15-15 ft deep. the 35-30 are umbrella rigs, the rest tandems. Is this starting to deep? should i be more shallow ? i was told they are between 25ft-the surface during spring time. Any help is appreciated. thanks Jeremy

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My first question is why do you think your rigs are running that deep?
What weights/distances are you using?
I'd be surprised if they are as deep as you think.

I've always been told that fish deeper than 25-30 feet aren't actively feeding.....they hanging out and taking a nap.....this has proven to be true over the years.
Not that a deep fish wont hit a lure if it's close enough......they're just not hunting.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
On a warm spring day with little boat traffic my lures from 0-10ft catch the best. Just single 2oz chutes off the boards. But you never know what that 30-35 ft downrigger will go off. You have enough rods why dont you go 5, 10, 10, 15, 15, 20, 25, 35? Then move 1 or two deeper on busy weekends.

·
Registered
552 Posts
"12 oz total at 50 feet will be running at 15-18 feet deep at 3 knots." Many questions... Is that to the swivel or lure? Some people run long leaders. Single, tandom or umbrellas?
I've never trusted the charts when it comes to umbrellas. They produce a lot of drag which tells me they don’t want to go down, but on the other hand they are held together with lead. How do you know how deep they are?

·
Registered
507 Posts
There are so many variables (including the use of umbrellas vs. lures with less drag) that the charts are not really reliable, but the "rule of 5's" I talk about in the Chesapeake Guide is about as close to an average as you can come - at 5mph, 5 ounces, 50 feet, you're looking at around 5 feet of depth. So at 3 knots with 12 ounces and 50 feet of line, 12' to 17' would be where I'd expect it to run. That said, I wouldn't ditch the deep rigs. There are days (especially when the bay is crowded or when a front is moving through) that the deep rods catch - and on those days, the ones up top usually don't. On the flip side, it doesn't sound like you have any running close to the surface, and you should. There are other days (and it happens more often) that board lines running short, in the top 5 to 7 feet of water, catch the lion's share. Of course, we haven't even talked tidal cycle, water clarity/stratification, or light levels yet!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.