Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read a thread awhile ago about drag setting while trolling. It seems most of y'all like 'em tight (some had mentioned vise-grip tight). So, I had been doing this wrong.

The question....When the fish hits, do you pump the rod to set the hook, or because the drag is so tight, the hook is already set?

I'd hate to overdo this and come up with a pair o' fishlips off'n a 50" Rock.:eek2:

Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
987 Posts
They're going in for the kill!!! :2guns:
They hook themself 99% of the time
Just start cranking
Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I fish with the strike setting at 25% of the line rated strength. Fish the reels on strike. When the fish hits, it hooks itself; you dont need to pump the rod.
I dont believe "vice-grip" drag settings at strike is the right thing to do. A big fish may break your line at the first weak point; usually the knot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you are using planar boards, the release pressure of the clip (or rubber band) is what determines the initial force. In the past I have set my drag to 5 lbs, which is pretty wimpy but it seems to work just fine. The 25% rule above would mean using 10 lbs of drag if your main line is 40# test. Seems reasonable enough.

A sharp hook is probably more important.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I fish with the strike setting at 25% of the line rated strength. Fish the reels on strike. When the fish hits, it hooks itself; you dont need to pump the rod.
I dont believe "vice-grip" drag settings at strike is the right thing to do. A big fish may break your line at the first weak point; usually the knot.
I set my drags with a hammer using #30-#80 line and have never broke off a fish.

Heck, if you can find a striper that can pull a steady 15# of drag for more than 6' I'd pay to see that fish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I set my drags at 1/2 line strength and have never broke off a fish.

Heck, if you can find a striper that can pull a steady 15# of drag for moe than 6' I'd pay to see that fish.
With my drag setting I found fish in the 35"-40" slot pulling about 10' feet or less, before they stop.
I like to be ready though for the once in a lifetime bubba, if it ever graces me with it's presense.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I like mine just loose enough where a good sized fish will take a little line with the clicker on to allert me if I'm not looking, they always hook them selves

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
I like a very firm drag.Look at the dia. of most hooks found on rockfish lures.It takes alot of pressure to push the hook into the fish's jaw.I set them by hand-tight enough so I can just pull line off.When a fish strikes-the hook is driven in-the rod bows -and if a real nice (over 40'') fish-some drag will go out.Most of the lures are 100-200' back so that amount of line helps cushion the strike.Too loose a drag and all you'll get are pull downs.I do back my drags off after I wash the reels off.This allows the drag washers to expand and helps avoid a sticky drag.You will need a smooth drag if you hook a 50'' fish. Skip

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just loose enough so that some line gets pulled out by a smallish fish-spring that would be a 30". I don't like vise grip tight, b/c I am not always watching the rods, and I like to hear the drag go out. Tight enough though that the hook sets! My judge of this is with the rod in the holder, if I grab the line above the reel, I should be able to pull line out without yanking super hard.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
#80 braid. Drags tight. Eyes on rods at all times. No lost fish. Be attentive or ya don't deserve to catch fish.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#80 braid. Drags tight. Eyes on rods at all times. No lost fish. Be attentive or ya don't deserve to catch fish.
Cat...this is my dilema..I have a hardtop, I usually fish by myself. I have been using very light drag, clikker on, so I can hear the zzzzzzzz of the reel.

Thanks to all for the replys.

But, If i'm solo...watchin' GPS, depth/FF, etc. I cannot see all of my rod tips.

I wanna bring on HO's, but I'm still learning. If HO's are aboard, then I can "crank 'em down", because they will be watching tips. Solo, driving the boat etc., I need to hear the "zzzzzz"

Trying to figger it out.

Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Stink- I understand your dilema cuz I've been there. For your safty and others, get yourself a HO when ya go out. At least when your trolling. Ho'n and using HOs can be a great experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts