Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these sitting in the garage collecting dust as I have only used them a couple of times as a summer trolling rod w pure 20lb mono on them, but I never troll in the summer anymore....just live line. So I might as well add them into next years spread.

So the question is this .... can this set up handle spring trolling off the boards?

Shakespeare Ugly Stick 20-50lb rod
Shimano - Charter Special 2000 LD
Mono backing with 55-60lb braid

Or should I just sell them and buy a little bit bigger set up.
I'm not too concerned about the Ugly Stick but I'd hate to get a noce Rock on and this reel crumble.
Plus I've never trolled with braid before and I am a little concerned about it.

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I use that same reel - along with 5-6 Penn 320's ( same size +/- ) with no trouble. The reels have landed Rock up to 47 inches - plus 7-8 double headers of 30-38 inchers.

I troll mostly single 2-6 oz parachute or tandem 2 and 4-6 ozs. I don't like to use them for heavier rigs like umbrellas.

The reels can handle any Rock out there with 50 lb braid.

I use these same reels in summer and have landed 3-4 big Cownose Rays on them. The Rays pull harder than Rock do - IMHO.

When you get a large Rock on - just slow the speed to about 2 knots - this helps out the angler a lot and reduces some stress on the reel.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I put 50 lb pink Ande - then 300 feet of 50 or 65 braid.

I join the lines with back to back Uni knot - 5 turns on mono , 8-9 turns on braid. I cinch it super tight - then trim mono close so it goes through guides.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MUCH Appreciated....I'll give these a shot next spring.

I put 50 lb pink Ande - then 300 feet of 50 or 65 braid.

I join the lines with back to back Uni knot - 5 turns on mono , 8-9 turns on braid. I cinch it super tight - then trim mono close so it goes through guides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts