Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! It is that time of the year to put in for my 2009 vacation. I want to take one full week off for trophy season. Iam wondering what week you guys think will be the most productive in the 09 season? I fish out of Sandy Point. Any help thanks in advance!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If I had to guess this far in advance, and I had some flexibility in my fishing grounds, AND wasnt meat fishing... I would suggest late C&R season (prior to "open" spring trophy season- C&R only) March-ish out of solomons or PLO...

If youre set on meat fishing, and going out of SPSP... maybe someone can check their logs, but I dont have anything in my logs that pointed to a certain week... there are so many variables to fishing that area in the spring... mostly water clarity... its impossible to predict.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
My best week out of this past year near the bridge was a week before the season opened...the next best week was 2 weeks after it opened...best weeks overall were down south

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
If you are into catch and release, the first week in april or so is about the best. Last spring I started catching fish in mid March by TPL. Bad part about fishing the spring out of SPSP is dirty water from the dam openings due to spring rains and melting winter snow. Sometimes you have to run south of BPL to start to get cleaner water

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Every year seems to be different due to weather. Water temp and clarity are the keys in early spring. Last winter was on the warm side and C&Ring started around the last of March. Actually the fishing was best a week or 2 prior to the season opening which is always the 3rd Saturday in April. Heavy spring rains can wreak havoc on fishing. To make a prediction on which week would be the best to take off from work to fish depends on so many variables any prediction would be a wild a$$ guess. I will say this, I fish out of Deale and opening week last year was great for me. Having said that, any fish I keep are ones that have already spawned out and last year it seemed that I caught more fish that had already spawned than in previous years.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I also fish out of Deale, according to my logs the most productive week the last 2 years has been the second week of Trophy season. Maybe it's the factor of less boats on the water in comparison with Opening week, but we caught more fish, bigger fish, in less time, than any other week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. The company I work for was bought out a couple of years ago. Now this year they come around and tell us we have to schedule are vacation a week at a time at the begining of the year. I hate it but I have no choice. So I'am trying to decide which week would be best. I realize every year is different depending on alot of things. But I have to pick a week. I would like to be able to keep some of the fish that have spawned out. So I really don't want to take it before the trophy season. I will fish from Sandy Point all the way to Breezy if I have to. Thanks again for all the help.

Charlie

·
Registered
633 Posts
Every year I take off the week leading up to the MSSA Spring tournament which is the first weekend in May. My vacation week in 2009 will be April 27th - May 1st. Fishing has been excellent the past few years during that week out of Breezy Point.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but how crowded is MSSA tourney weekend compared to opening weekend?? I'm trying to plan a trip with some friends myself and looks like tourney weekend (1st weekend in May) is the best option time-wise.

To answer the original question, if it was me, I would book out the 2nd week of the season. Won't be as crowded and fishing should still be great!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but how crowded is MSSA tourney weekend compared to opening weekend?? I'm trying to plan a trip with some friends myself and looks like tourney weekend (1st weekend in May) is the best option time-wise.

To answer the original question, if it was me, I would book out the 2nd week of the season. Won't be as crowded and fishing should still be great!!
Fished the MSSA tourney this past Spring, Boat traffic wasn't too bad at all down south

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I fished MSSA 2 yrs. ago and opening day this year both between BB and Bloody pt..... both where about the same traffic but less knuckle heads on the water during the MSSA. Opening day, there are TOOOOO many people who have NO right running planer boards out on the water and showing no rymn or reason as to there course which will leave you wondering, which way they are gonna turn next.:eek2:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I fished MSSA 2 yrs. ago and opening day this year both between BB and Bloody pt..... both where about the same traffic but less knuckle heads on the water during the MSSA. Opening day, there are TOOOOO many people who have NO right running planer boards out on the water and showing no rymn or reason as to there course which will leave you wondering, which way they are gonna turn next.:eek2:
AGREED:yes::yes: But like a kid at Christmas, I don't sleep much the night before the Mayhem:clapping2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put in for my vacation today. I put in for the second week and got it:clap: I took 2 days the second week this year and limited both days. So I hope this next year will be just as good. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts