Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know........but it is one type of hunting that even after all these years I still love! Any suggestions for locations close to Va Beach? With gas prices so high it's kinda tough to drive 140 miles round trip for some bushy-tails.
Thanks!
JDF

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ragged Island WMA shouldn't be that far from VA Beach. It is mostly pine forrest where there are trees but there should be a few squirrels around.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Squirrel hunting can be some of the most fun you can have in the woods, no shame in it. More kids are hooked on hunting after there first squirrel hunting trip then any other hunting.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was 10 years old, the first game animal I ever killed was a Gray, high up in a tree top, sitting in a crotch. My Dad let me take the shot. Took Dad 10 minutes explaining where it was, till I located Mr. Bushytail. Shot with a Ithaca Featherweight 16 ga. pump, Winchester#6, Hi-brass as we used to call them. Blood poured out my nose from my thumb hitting me in said beak, hunching up on the gun. Did not matter one bit, that was day I became hooked on hunting. That was 52 years ago and I remember the shot, the location, the type of day, everything about it. Every month should be October. Good Hunting, T.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I also cut my teeth of squirrels...............I used to consider them "mini deer".
I would stalk them on the ground with my .22
I also thought why deer hunt....you can only get one per day.....with squirrels you got 6!....I always liked to shoot.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna play hooky from work and head out in the morning for some bushy-tails before the muzzle loader season starts.......should be a good day for it. I've been seeing quite a few this year and have had quite a bit of fun using the .22 instead of the scatter-gun. Makes for a good challenge with all the leaves still on. It can really try your patience waiting for a good head-shot. (not as easy as some folks would think)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts