Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Yesterday I went to the CBF offices for a meeting w/ John Page Williams, Woody, and Stephanie Reynolds to discuss how SRRKC could get involved with some of their Severn River projects.

Stephanie heads up their oyster restoration program, and has several projects going on throughout the year that she could use our help with. Specifically, she'll be planting 6 tons of oysters along the Naval Academy seawall in mid-May and could definitely use some man-power to help her get the job done.

Some interesting things I learned at the meeting:

- The Severn River is a designated oyster sanctuary - no harvesting allowed (so what we put down won't be brought right back up again the next oyster season).

- CBF is no longer able to dredge old shell from up north and use it as substrate for planting new oyster reefs (it was a big legislative issue a couple years back). Because of that, they now have to use alternative substrates AND get a special permit to build oyster reefs using the alternative substrates. All of this costs about 4x as much as it used to.

- The process for building oyster reefs begins in Shadyside at their Oyster Restoration Center. Once the oysters have reached a certain stage there, they are moved to a small facility in Mill Creek (that the Naval Academy lets CBF use), and then finally brought by boat or truck on pallets to wherever they are going to be planted.

- Stephanie is more than happy to give us a tour of the entire operation - both the Shadyside and the Mill Creek centers - so we can see the entire lifecycle that we'll be helping support.

- This one from John Page (our newest "official" member, since he bought Woody and I a round at the meeting :))) : The Boatyard Bar & Grill is adding a room that would be perfect for the SRRKC meetings. John Page thinks that the owner would LOVE to be the host "club house" for the SRRKC meetings; he'll check on all that and get back to us.

- Another project that John Page felt the SRRKC would be perfect for is monitoring the grass beds throughout the river. He's got SAV identification charts that he'll hand out at the May meeting, and he'll explain how to submit our data to the VIMS website for their monitoring program. More to follow at the May meeting.

Stephanie is planning on attending our April meeting (Thur, April 5) to discuss the oyster restoration program and the projects she could use our help with. I hope everyone can make it to that meeting, as this is definitely a way for us to do something positive for the river.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Uh oh. There's gonna be a lady attending one of our meetings. :eek: Big E better be on his best behavior....:wacko: John, leave your Rio beach pics at home this time.....

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Good info, Larry!!

Oyster project sounds real interesting. I'd sign up for a tour if we get one together. It's a shame they can't get the old shells anymore for substrate. The more the state delegates talks about improving the bay quality, the more difficult (and expensive) they make it for people who try to actually help. :confused:

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Larry-that sounds fun.I was there with John for lunch-he said you were going to stop by.I'm in for the oyster stuff-just let me know when.In May it will be warm enough to dive so I can put the oysters down by hand if needed.

Let's try and get the media to film/report on this event-good news about the river for a change. :)) Skip

·
Registered
859 Posts
Larry,

Awesome news!!! I would love to help put down the new oyster beds for one to lend a helping hand and also to know where a good place to look for some fishes might be.

I have seen the oyster breeding facilty in Shadyside a few times, it is nothing short of remarkable. We should take Stephanie up on her offer and take a filed trip, it is well worth it. Not to mention the location is at the old Chesapeake Bay Institute building and the piece of land is awesome. I used to crab that sea wall back in the day and pillage me some crabs.

Clancy

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Uncljohn-six tons-that's 16,000 12 ozs beers.Piece of cake-I'll be done in a year at the most. :rolleyes: I thought it was 5-10 bags of oysters not TONS.I'm still in got to at least try to help the river/bay.:)) Skip

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Uncljohn-six tons-that's 16,000 12 ozs beers.Piece of cake-I'll be done in a year at the most. :rolleyes: I thought it was 5-10 bags of oysters not TONS.I'm still in got to at least try to help the river/bay.:)) Skip
"Uh, I didn't sign up for this!"- Skip

or

"How come noone wants to HO for me anymore?"-Skip

Do the math using tall-boy Schlitz's as the measure. That way Evans will have a better grasp of the quanitity.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
A woman at a SRRKC meeting? Yeah, I think Stephanie can take care of herself there. (She might even join.) By the way, one sure thing is that her USCG Master's License will be the biggest in the house. Glad she's coming, and that you guys are interested.

As to the Boatyard Bar & Grill (CBF's Severn Avenue Conference Room, and sponsor of our softball team), I saw Dick Franyo this afternoon, and he's delighted to have us, but his new room might not be ready by May 3. I'll give you an update early that week. If not, he'll invite us in for June 7.

Wherever we are in May, I'll bring grasses field guides for anybody that's interested. We have five species in the river, and they all hold fish & crabs. One of my favorite ways to fish them is wade-fishing early and late w/ a weedless spoon, but I'd be mighty interested to see how other folks work them.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks Unc.! Skip if you could possible equate everything to 40oz King Cobra's it would be much easier for me to understand...........mmmmmm 40's......:D . On a seperate note I think I've been to the Shady Side operations, well that's where I think we were, I didn't pay much attention to where we were going in college. Regardless if that's the place we toured then it is an awesome place fer sher and I strongly encourage everyone to go see it. The way they farm the spat is really cool. Other then that I am in for any effort to improve the quality of the water and land in the area we live so count me in for whatever whenever. Guys it's great to see so many interested in this! I also will bet half my buddy's that are not involved in the SRRKC but work in the env. world will most likely come and lend a hand if needed as well. I'm always up for helping. Just let me know when and where and how many beers to bring:D .

-Evans

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
King Cobra-we are most likely the only white guys to ever admit to drinking that :D .2 or 3 of them and you forget your name:wacko: :wacko: . Skip

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm a Steel Reserve man, myself.
That's high gravity baby!!!! That stuff will pull you down.:D

Skip: Your [email protected] [email protected] right and I'm a better man because of it!! HOWEVER back in the late 90's I almost switched over when I saw a throwback 80's commercial for Colt 45. It went something like this. " Hi I'm Billy Dee Williams drink Colt 45 it gets your woman ready quicker." Now if Bolly Dee did it then you know it was cool.:cool2: :D

-Evans

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Big E-I think Get the Net means he attended a "Paddle Party":pinch: :hugeachother: Skip

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Larry... Count me in for some oyster restoration action!! :cool2:

I wonder how many ton I can carry on the Parker...? :))

Of course... I could carry a couple bushel in the tankwell of the 'yak, and just do a roll-over to plant em. :hysterical:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts