Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pier Pressure and I got out today and team fished off a neighbors dock hoping to get a few fish for the SRRKC Pickerel-Palooza derby.
It was a tough bite with a lot of stained water, but we were able to bring in 4 fish for the day.

The first fish was Davids and came from a mummi on a circle hook fished under a bobber (while we threw plastics further down the dock), and it measured 18"

The second fish was mine and came on a white curly-tail fished on an 1/8 oz jig head.
It measured 21.75"

The third fish was also mine and was a fat one that came on a chart-flake curly-tail fished on an 1/8 oz jig head.
It measured 21.5"

The last fish of the day was Davids, and it also came on a mummi on a circle hook fished under a bobber. This one also went 18"

David and I spent a lot of time throwing soft plastics as well as minnows on shad darts, as the minnies under the bobbers fished themselves. Of all the plastics we threw, the curly-tails were the clear favorites over the minnows.

Largest fish today - 21.75"
Aggrigate of our best 3 fish - 61.25"

It was a slow day of fishing, but two good fish made up for it. :)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wow; I really thought that whoever managed three Pickerel over 20" would win this things and that the actual sizes would shrink a bit after careful measurment. It looks like I'm likely to wrong on the frst account and am defintely wrong on the second account. Great work guys.

The leader board looks terrific, too! The great thing about it is that it allows everyone to know where the bar is set so that we don't have to bother measuring the smaller fish.

P.S. - this is just food for later thought, not intended to be discussed /debated in this thread, but we may want to consider using this as the tourney format from now on. Maybe shorten it to one month or even a couple weeks, but that way far more people can participate and it encourages C&R (if one chooses that route). I realize that this calls for a lot of trust among participants, but that can be fixed by making most of the entry fee go to an organization (Severn Riverkeeper, etc.) and the prize would simply be bragging rights (remainder on the fee could go towards a gathering /award ceremony at then end, and we could ask The Capital to send someone out if tis becomes popular). I don't think too many people care about winning $100 or less, esp. when the entry fee is only $10.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some bigger Pickerel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The leader board looks terrific, too! The great thing about it is that it allows everyone to know where the bar is set so that we don't have to bother measuring the smaller fish.
Thanks. Sometime today I plan on adding another table, listing the leaders for the Aggregate of 3 Best Fish.

I like the month long tourney format also. I think you're right in it will allow more people to be involved. Maybe the SRRKC can start a new long tradition similar to the Martha's Vineyard Derby.

http://www.mvderby.com/history/index.html

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Maybe the SRRKC can start a new long tradition similar to the Martha's Vineyard Derby.

http://www.mvderby.com/history/index.html
Rod: the Vineyard Derby is exactly what we had in mind when we first disscussed the tourney. As a matter of fact it was originally only going to be a one month tourney but in our many deliberations over libations it turned in to a two month affair. Either way it's good and I agree we should do a mid-summer tourney in that format. It would be a blast. OH AND I LOVE THAT LEADER BOARD!!!!

Kev: Nice fish

DA: Nicer fish.:)

-Evans

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff... I'm with you. I figured that a 60" aggrigate would be a reach as well.
Looks like now, it might not be so.

My neighbor David, aka Pier Pressure and I worked for almost 2 hours in a fairly small area that I thought might hold fish without a nibble, but our patience was eventually rewarded.

Those are the biggest pickerel I've ever caught in Whitehall, and they were in a very specific area, tight to structure. Your cast had to be dead-on to even get a nibble...

I still think the Severn holds bigger fish, as the water upstream is fresher than what we have... but we're going to give it a heck of a try. :D

I almost wish I hadn't winterized my neighbors Montauk. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
What a great weekend for pickereling! Started out on Saturday morning w/ Mike "Century2000"... we brought roughly 30 toothy critters to the boat in a matter of 3 hours, including Mike's first ever (see photo).

Headed in at noon, and called the wife to see if she was up for some fun on the boat... sure enough she came down and we started exploring more Severn creeks... brought about 20 more nice ones in before heading home at sunset, including Diana's first ever (sorry no photo).

Was supposed to go back out first thing Sunday morning, but played a bit too hard Saturday night. Decided to launch Miss SRRKC (the club canoe :)) in the afternoon and worked Weems Creek for a couple hours before dark... pulled in 6 more fiesty ones before calling it a day.

Largest pickerel went 21"... didn't do too well with the picture taking... will have to work on that next trip.

What a weekend... over 50 pickerel in the boat and most of the weekend spent on the water... YEAH BUDDY!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice job Larry!

David and I went out today at dusk and fished the same area as yesterday throwing white curly-tails... but no love today. :(

Lots of short strikes and nibbles, but nobody was hungry enough to take the skunk off.

We're on a mission to better D.A.'s 23. :D

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Looks like the pickerel bite is in full swing WTG Larry. Hey Kevin I can bet that Big E is just lurking around to see what he has to beat for that Calcutta Prize. ;)
You got that right!!!!!:D Nice fishing this weekend on everyone's part. I'm off to OI this weekend so it's looking like I'm out for another tourney weekend. With that and all the bird shooting I've been doing I've hardly had any time to fish at all. I just look at it this way. It's like shooting hoops when I was younger I'm just giving ya'll a few point lead.:D

-Evans

1 - 20 of 28 Posts