Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great turnout last night. A bit noisy at Rams Head, but seemed like everyone was able to get the gist of what was going on. A very productive gathering, too.

Here's what we decided:

1) SRRKC "Spring Outing": Will be held on Sunday, April 29th. Party will be held at 2:00pm at Woody's dock in Whitehall Bay (same place as last year). Bring pics of your fish if you like - Ralph will have a laptop and card reader to load pics from digital cameras. If the wind is going to be a problem at Woody's dock (as it was last year), we'll raft-up off Manresa, instead.

Due to DNR's regulations regarding "no tournaments or contests for striped bass without the Secretary's approval" this will not be a "contest or tournament" and therefore no official fees will be collected. We will take donations for CBF and the Severn Riverkeeper, if anyone cares to donate (strictly voluntary).

2) CBF Oyster Restoration: We had the pleasure of having Stephanie Reynolds, CBF's Oyster Restoration expert, attend the meeting last night. She went over the types of projects she's working on this year, and brought excellent infomation to hand out (including the locations of all the CBF oyster reefs in the river!).

She also signed up volunteers to help out with the oyster restoration project being held on May 12-14 at the Naval Academy sea wall. If anyone else is interested in signing up to help out with her projects, or would like more information from Stephanie, you can contact her at: [email protected]

3) Wish-A-Fish: Skip gave us an update on what's happening with Wish-A-Fish. The area he needs help with most is at the Bay Bridge Boat Show on April 26 - 28. The boat show gave Wish-A-Fish a booth to hand out fliers and seek donations in exchange for providing fishing advice for people who stop by (show them the basics of bottom fishing, etc. in the bay). Hours will be from 11am - 5pm each day, and they could definitely use some help manning the booth. Contact Skip ("Sailfish 27") for more info and to sign up.

4) Fishermen-of-the-Month: We had several excellent entries this month. The first place winner was... Greg Millenburg's largemouth bass caught near the Colchester Community Pier. Nice fish, Greg!

Second place went to Clancy, Big E and Robalo-Rob for their haul of 22 tuna (500lbs!) from N.C (joined by fellow TF-ers Mike Burgess, 24 Bimini, and Chris O'Meara).

Robalo-Rob took 3rd place with his pre-season rockfish catch.

Congratulations to everyone who fished this month!

As always, great seeing everyone. Thanks to all who came out to talk fishin'... looking forward to a great month of fishin'.
Let the fun begin!!! :clap:

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Excellent meeting Larry!

I won't be able to make the "Spring Outing" as I'll be working the Bay Bridge Boat Show with the BOE Black Lab, but I'll have a VHF nearby listening in on the action. I hope the weather cooperates for ya!

It's a shame that the noise in the Roadhouse :eek: didn't allow more discussion with Stephanie regarding oyster replenishment.
The project to seed the USNA seawall sounds like a good one. I am all for planting oysters where they cannot be harvested, and where they have a chance to grow, filter, and improve the health of the Bay. ;-)

Congratulations to Greg for assuming the mantle of "Fisherman of the Month"! :clapping2:

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I'll second the noise-that place was packed !!!I think I heard we have to plant oysters in the buff :D or something like that. Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Gentlemen--

Glad to hear the meeting went well, and the membership enjoyed hearing from Stephanie. Sorry I couldn't be there, but talking about the John Smith Water Trail to the Annapolis Power & Sail Squadron was good--60 people, all pumped up to cruise part of the Trail in June.

We've got a great opportunity to show what native oyster restoration can accomplish because our whole river is a sanctuary. It also turns out to have even more natural pockets of shell than we thought, some of which are good candidates for more restoration. Evaluating all of them will be a very difficult job, but we're the ones to do it.

As to a quiet venue for meetings, the new Boatyard Market may be a good one, and Dick Franyo shares our love of fishing the Severn.

See you May 3, if not before on the river.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Boatyard sounds great as long as there is enough parking for all the "big rigs" everyone seems to drive :))

It would be great to have a local spot that everyone could get to easily and that has room for us to have our "social hour".

Thanks, JP, for thinking of us. Looking forward to seeing you next month!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts